How can i discipline my 4 year old son without yelling at him?

my son doesn't listen to me so i have to yell in order for him to listen to me what can i do to stop yelling at him thanks crystal

M.H.J.CMama0407

Asked by M.H.J.CMama0407 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Give him a warning and then give him a short time out.
    Anonymous

• This was so hard for me to do. I was yelling a lot and had to stop it. I started thinking before I spoke and giving time outs instead. Just keep reminding yourself to stay calm. It's so hard but you can do it! Soon you will see you are not yelling anymore.
    LittleJoes

Answer by LittleJoes at 11:38 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I agree, tell yourself NOT to yell. IF they are used to hearing you yell, you might actually get attention from not yelling. I know it's hard and I had to teach myself not to yell. I am not perfect, but I yell a whole lot less. I use time out and spanking if need be (maybe once a week-not happy about that). Time out works for the most part. Just be consistent.
    ConnorsMommy521

Answer by ConnorsMommy521 at 12:32 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• My personal problem...I yelled at my daughter today which I am not proud of. It was at an octave that was a GROWL and it was sharply said YOU ARE GOING TO SCHOOL!! This when she decided "I DON'T LIKE SCHOOL! I DON'T WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL TODAY!"

How do you keep from yelling at them when you are almost late to get them to school because they are fussing and refusing to put on a coat and everything else? This answer would be MUCH Appreciated! I HATE YELLING !! I was yelled at when I was a kid and remembered hiding within a shell of myself to keep from getting yelled at...I don't want my child to fear me or feel she can't come to me when she needs me...but I want her to respect me.
    truetigress

Answer by truetigress at 1:20 AM on Jan. 6, 2009