What is with down votes? Lots of haters apparently

I suppose anyone can down vote a response for whatever reason they want and it needs no real justification. I mean there are no "rules" for when it's appropriate. I personally never down vote someone just because they have an opinion that disagrees with mine. I post in a lot of the debate forums and imo difference of opinions is part of what we enter those threads for. If someone makes a response that is rude, or just plain ignorant on a whole other level then that certainly calls for a down vote. But I see a lot of down votes on responses that even if they aren't popular opinions were still respectful and thought out.

So what is your criteria for giving a response a down vote?
Do you ever find you down vote the same person no matter what they say just because you don't like them? (I've seen "rivalries" on here which is why I ask)

kayslay

Asked by kayslay at 8:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in About CafeMom

• I down vote if I think the answer is dangerously ignorant or if I think the person was mean or hateful. That's about it. In the debate sections I think there's a lot of down votes based on certain people who don't like each other. There's a lot of history in those categories between certain members, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If its mean,or outright wrong as in baby or health advice

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I only vote down answers that are obnoxious/really rude...........it has to be really overboard for me to do it. It does blow my mind when I see an answer that is polite and only there in an attempt to help voted down.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I only vote down mean, abusive, rude or hateful answers.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 10:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I get vote downs quite often and I don't understand why. Maybe I'm not clear on the question and I answer to the best of my ability and I'm never rude. Sometimes I wonder why I bother to answer at all.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:18 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I rarely vote an answer down. Like you said, if the answer is respectful and thought out, I don't have to agree with it. I will vote down an answer that I think is particularly cruel.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Rarely and only if the advice is clearly dangerous or very rude.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Completely rude or out of line. In correct info I try to just correct with my answer.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• " It does blow my mind when I see an answer that is polite and only there in an attempt to help voted down. "

agreed, that's what sparked the question. I see lots of good responses voted down. It's especially bad in debate sections.
    kayslay

Comment by kayslay (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I asked the very question not that long ago and got thumbs down after it....immaturity is all I can muster.
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2011