Has anyone every been addicted to pills??

I am asking this question beacuse i need to serious advice. If u have anything rude to say plz keep it to your self....Im almost 5 months pregnant and addicted to hydrocodone im trying really hard to stop. I have slowed down on the amount i take. i plan on becoming clean soon so my baby will have a chance of no being born addicted to this shit. Has there been anyone to walk in my shoes. I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO GET OFF THESE PILLS SOMEONE PLS HELP ME!!!!!!!

P.S. IF YOU DONT HAVE EXPERIENCE IN ADDICTION THEN PLZ MOVE ALONG I DONT NEED YOUR INPUT IF YOU DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT

jhenry456

Asked by jhenry456 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think in a question a while ago LovingSAHMommy offered to talk to you and help you some advice if you messaged her.  You should take her up  on it.  I don;t know her personally but she is nice lady on here. 

Anonymous

• Have you honestly spoke to your physician? There are methods of addiction withdrawal that he can help you with. I am not sure about taking them when you are pregnant... only he can advise you. Please contact him... Truly believe, it is nothing to be ashamed of. He can help. Many, many people accidentally become addicted to medically authorized pills. But, that is what your Dr. is there for... he will not judge. Good luck to you.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I haven't but my husband, after a motorcycle accident, was addicted to Percocet. We found him a pain management specialist who controls his prescriptions, got him away from the Percocet and is slowly weaning him off of the new meds since he still has pain from the accident. You may want to see a doctor to help you get off safely.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 8:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If your doctor knows you are taking them, maybe he can help you wean off them without hurting yourself or your baby. When I worked in OB/GYN that is what the doctors did for the women who were addicted to hydrocodone. It's a hard drug to shake and if your doctor does not know of your addiction it is best to let him or her know about this so you can get the help you need. Best of luck to you! Addiction is rough.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• i will say that i like those..and i've caught myself before actually becoming addicted. going without them for a few days really gave me a bad headache and made me want to take more..but i was able to be strong and tell myself not to. you just have to have the will power and know that you are doing something good for you and your baby. Try drinking a cup of coffee in place of popping a pill. you can do this.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I was addicted to sleeping pills a few years ago. I managed to beat my addiction before i got pregnant so I can't relate to you there but I can sympathize with the difficulty. Your baby is a great motivator and perfect inspiration to beat this now. Talk with your doctor. Maybe get into NA and develop a support system. Your doing the right thing by recognizing this is a problem and trying to quit. GL
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 8:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I have. I was in a really bad car accident and broke both of my legs and had my joints reconstructed and prothstetics implanted. I was on so many pain killers afterwards, it was just really hard for me to stop taking them. I'm not on them anymore, but it's definitely a struggle.
    MrsBer

Answer by MrsBer at 8:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I actually just posted a question asking you to email me because you deleted your other question. I'll pretty much say what I said the first time.

I recently took hydrocodone for over a month due to an oral surgery that went wrong. It took me two days to detox and I felt like absolute crap, I'm not gonna lie. I read that it typically takes about 3 weeks to become addicted an apparently my body was. Granted, I wasn't pregnant and I know you've been taking them for 2 years, so it will probably be harder for you. But...you HAVE to tell your doctor, hon. Your doctor isn't going to judge you. I'm sure he/she has seen it before. They can slowly lower your dosage so that the withdrawals aren't as severe. It usually take 5-7 days to detox once you stop completely. I'm not trying to be mean, but you can't be selfish right now. You really need to let your doctor know. They can help you so that it won't be so hard. I wish you the best!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Awww, anon, I don't know who you are, but thanks for the compliment. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Hi :) So, the good new is that hydrocodone is actually prescribed sometimes during pregnancy . . . I have a good friend who was in the same situation as you. She talked to her OB and he helped her with the step-down. It is REALLY important to get the OB involved because he needs to make sure that you and baby will be OK during the process. The withdrawal can be pretty yucky, but if you step-down you can avoid a lot of that. . . .and also be told what would be safe for you to take that might help, like Benedryl, etc.

You are absolutely doing the right thing by taking care of it now. . .

Just don't do it by yourself . . . you really need to have the dr. involved and there is no shame to admitting to a doc about a problem and asking for help. They see it all the time, and would much rather guide you and help you and baby through that than have a pregnancy or newborn crisis.

Good luck.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2011