My 9month old son doesnt like the spoon!!!!

He won't eat baby food unless i put it in his sippy with water or toddler formula, I let him play with the spoon so he knows its not bad or thats its not gonna hurt him but he only likes food I eat or the sippy mix!?

Q1: How can I get him to eat with a spoon more often?

Q2: How can I get him to feed himself with the spoon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a little trouble with one of mine with a spoon until I switched to a spoon that had the rubber cover on it. I'm not sure what made the difference.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 8:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My dd is almost three and still prefers to eat finger foods. Relax...he'll get the hang of the spoon soon enough. Just give him plenty of opportunities to practice. He's still really, REALLY young!!
    Anonymous

• I figure he'll get use to it eventually. I have that mother-in-law lingre but its my grandmother-in-law that does it lol shes always down my neck about how he needs to eat with a spoon thank you both!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• There is a wide range of when a child can use a spoon. The little guy I take care of still is learning and he is 18 months. Your baby is very young to be skilled with it. It also takes time for a baby to learn to eat solids/baby food. They need to practice and start with just a little on their tongue to being able to handle it normally. IMO you need to stop putting the baby food in the sippy cup. You need to feed the baby with a spoon at the same time he is playing with one to learn how to handle it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• As Mlanderson said, see if you can find a spoon with a rubber cover, most baby dept's. carry them. Once he gets accustomed to that, he'll adjust to a regular spoon in no time. It could be the metal of the spoon that's bothering him. If you think about it, everything he has had put in his mouth has been rubbery: binky;s (if you use them) bottle nipples, sippy cups, and if you nurse, while mommy's nipples aren't what you'd call rubbery, they aren't hard, and cold either. Then suddenly you put this hard, cold metal thing in his mouth, he probably thinks it tastes and feels nasty and if he's teething, it may kinda hurt his tender gums.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• honestly? He's too old for babyfood. May I suggest visiting. baby led solids website

No need for a rubber spoon. Though a smaller handle is nice. We have a mini cutlery set with normal metal, shorter handles but also give regular sizes. Spoon usage is a dependant on development, it isn't something you teach. give the spoon, eat with the baby so he sees you use them, and let him explore freely. the do i all on their own.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My youngest son never did eat baby food or baby cereal and really hated the spoons with the rubber on it. He does better with a metal spoon for some reason. It will just take practice for him to get used to being fed with a spoon and also practice with using a spoon. One of my sons...who was born with Down Syndrome, still has some trouble using a spoon, especially with things like soup, but with more and more practice he will be able to master this skill.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I wouldnt stress a spoon this is all new to him, hes just a little guy,,when he wants it he will learn..I would just let it sit on the tray while he eats. Offer him finger foods like ripened soft fruit,cooked veggies,rice,pasta,beans,crackers..all those finger foods teaches him to self feed which he will catch on to feeding himself. I wouldnt give him baby food in a cup..stick with his formula, Also, formula/breastmilk should be his main diet..
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2011