My daughter embarrassed me with her antisocial behavior on the bus...can you help me?

My 33 month old daughter is usually very friendly and outgoing. At least she used to be, until be got cooped up in the house this winter (we live in the northeast and have no car, so when it snowed or the temps were bad, we were stuck inside).

Today, however, it was in the 30's, so I took her on the bus to the pharmacy. A little girl, perhaps a year or two older than her, got on the bus with her mom.  . She sat near my daughter, and I swear, my daughter acted like the girl was a monster. She whined and acted afraid. Totally unlike her. The little girl tried to play "footsies" with her, and my daughter kept saying "She hurt me!! She hurt me!! Stop!! No!!" WTF? I was so embarrassed. I tried to assure my daughter that the little girl was only playing with her, but it didn't help the situation.

Finally the little girl shared a cookie with my daughter. That seemed to break the ice!! Apologetically I explained to the girl's mom that my daughter was an only child and wasn't used to being around other children. She said she understood, and didn't seem to be offended by my daughter's uncharacteristic antisocial behavior.

I'm enrolling her in Head Start for the fall, so thankfully she'll be around other tots her age on a regular basis.

Is there something wrong with my daughter? Why was my daughter acting this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• Hun, nothing is wrong with your daughter, she hasn't been around other children for a while and so needs time to readjust. Take the time to take her places and have her exposed to both children and adults alike so that she becomes more comfortable being around people once again (outside of the family members that she sees every day). Starting now will help her in the transition into her Head Start too.
    AWomansMind

Answer by AWomansMind at 8:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I thionk you answered your own question. She isn't used to being around other children. I would start taking every opportunity possible to take her to places where there are other children. She obviously needs the socialization.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Absolutely nothing is wrong with your daughter. My daughter just turned 4 and will sometimes do similar things, and she's been doing it since she was a baby.Some kids, like my son, are really outgoing and will talk anyone's ear off that will listen long enough. Other kids, like our daughters, won't give anyone but immediate family the time of day. Often she'll get shy around new people and refuse to talk to them. I hug her close and tell the "stranger" that she's being shy today. Sometimes getting her to talk only to me in the presence of said "stranger" will help her break the shyness. There is one uncle she has that she won't go near for any reason, and never has. The (not so?) funny thing is that he's the biggest teddy bear when it comes to kids and is the Fun Uncle. All her other cousins turn him into an Uncle-gym.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• nothing is wrong with your daughter
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Nothing is wrong with her.. It actually can be normal for kids to go thru certain stages.. but dont think forcing her into daycare or anything will help.. It only may make it worse. since she will be forced out of her comfort zone (u) into someplace that is new to her, around people she does not trust..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Nothing is wrong with her,. She may have just been having an off day. My kids act that way sometimes. She also may have wanted the other little girls attention and thought this was the way to get it.
    reaandiziesmama

Answer by reaandiziesmama at 10:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• she just need to be around more lil kids she will be alright..
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 2:16 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• that's totally normal. my daughter (three next month) always manages to pull something like this when i'm stuck in line or otherwise trapped in public lol. anyone with kids gets it and no one thought your kiddo was weird. everything they do is weird at this age lol.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 8:32 AM on Mar. 26, 2011