Ok, is it the doc. or is it me??!!!!

I had my 28 week checkup yesterday (i'll be 29 weeks tomorrow) but anyways I've been sick this past week and litterly just feel like crap. There will be days I can't eat because i know it was make me sick. The previous 2 times I've been to the doctor my blood has been low.

Yesterday they weighted me first and i gained 5 pounds since 2 weeks ago. So that puts me at 132, im 5'3. My pre-pregnancy weight was 110 pounds. So , they didnt take my blood yesterday ( which I though was very odd since my blood is low) Then when the doc. asked me how i had been feeling I told him how sick I had been getting..... its answer

" Obviously you havn't been getting too sick , you gained 5 pounds" ..... And i told him yeah i know but I really just don't feel good , and eating makes me sick. Then he said " Well your eating something." He made comments through out the whole visit.

I thought what is with this guy? I was befudled at his comments and he didnt even care about me being sick, or about my blood being low and then not being checked.

So what do you think?? is it really that bad to gain 5 pounds? I mean, i know thats alot for one week, but is there a reason Im sick and still gaining?? ( He never answered my question)

juniebug11

Asked by juniebug11 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Are they taking blood or blood pressure?? The two are very different.. You can still gain while sick and not eating much. Also, what you drink other than water has calories also.. Are you measuring ok, are you far enough along to feel movement, if so do you? If so, I would not be too concerned right now.. You may be getting the stomach bug that is going around..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• well my blood is low, its usually at a 9. My blood pressure is always right on. He said I was measuring right, and the baby moves alot. But I just dont know why i never feel well. My first trimester was so bad, i threw up all day and ended up losing about 5 pounds.
    juniebug11

Comment by juniebug11 (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• You seem to be gaining alright so don't be too concerned with feeling sick, some get sicker than others during their pregnancy or you may have caught a flu going around. Your doctor doesn't seem concerned about you being sick because you are still gaining weight in order for the baby to grow. The thing that concerns me is that you say that they are supposed to be watching your blood, do you mean your blood pressure? Next appointment, make sure that they take your blood or blood pressure, whichever it is, and if not then you need to speak up to your doctor and let him know that they didn't do the proceedure and that you are concerned about it. Then if he decides he no longer has to do it, ASK QUESTIONS! That way you will know what is going on and why he is doing what he is doing. Good luck in your pregnancy!
    AWomansMind

Answer by AWomansMind at 8:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• What do you mean that your blood is low?? Low blood pressure or Low blood iron (anemic). Also if you are gaining weight then all is well. As far as feeling sick, that is a good sign and can come & go throughout pregnancy. You NEED to eat Small meals more often & not big meals. If you are anemic then they will suggest another iron supplement along with your Prenatal vitamin. If your blood pressure is low then you are probably not drinking enough fluids. Drink More Water. The Dr. did not say anything wrong.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• thanks its my blood levels. He seems really old fashonied, i go to the health dept. , he's like a retired doctor ? He cant deliver my baby . He's really nice, just I think is set in his ways from back in the day.
    juniebug11

Comment by juniebug11 (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If your Hgb is low you can feel bad, not as much energy as you normally would have. I'm alittle shocked they didn't check.. Make sure they do the next visit if you are not feeling well. Many women have some form of morning sickness their whole pregnancy, you may be one of them.. Keep hydrated and eat as much as you can. Choose foods that are good for you so you know you are getting all the vitamins etc your body needs.. Do you take prenatal vitamins? They made me sick, I was unable to take them :(
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• its my blood iron , like im anemic, i blacked out prob, about 2 weeks ago at a job interview ( it was so horriable !!) lol
    juniebug11

Comment by juniebug11 (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• prenatals make me sick to, i take flintstones (childrens gummie ) but they also make me sick :(
    i tried to tell the doc. but he just tells me to take them
    juniebug11

Comment by juniebug11 (original poster) at 9:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Try taking them before bed.. I was able to take children's flintstones with out an issue.. Did they tell you to take iron supplements?? Either way, if he can't deliver the baby who will when the time comes.. It may be time to find a OB that will also deliver the baby when the time comes...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I would find a new doctor. Yes, it may be nothing but a doctor should never just blow you off like that. He should do what he can to put your mind at ease. A doctor is supposed to listen to your concerns and if it's nothing to be concerned about he should explain to you why it's not a problem so you know that he is listening and taking your issues into account. He may know it's nothing but he's acting like you're stupid, lying, or should know this already. I would find a doctor who's more focused on you and make sure you know what's going on so you can be more comfortable in your pregnancy.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2011