My son keeps breaking out in rashes in cloth diapers. I wash them 3 times on hot/cold it doesnt work

we use the all in one bumgenius cloth diapers. the new ones that came out this year with the new snaps etc. Anyways. I wash them in Hot/Cold 3 times. well two times and 1 hot/cold rinse. as soon as he wears them and soils them in poop he starts getting bumps, rashes, red. And every time it starts to get bad i have to buy disposable diapers because it works better. I use all free and clear detergent with no fragrance. We do have hard water here. You can see the build up in the water and on the water faucets and stuff. its really gross. I dont know if its the detergent or if im not washing them right or maybe i need to buy Rockin Green or Ruby Moon Natural Laundry Wash??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried using Dreft? That's what I used for my son's clothes for the first year, and I didn't use fabric softener with his clothes either. Babies just have really sensitive skin.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• My sister was the same way. Now, granted that was 20 years ago, and things in the cloth diaper world have changed. But the same diapers that my mother used on me without issue broke my sister our horrendously. Her skin was simply to sensitive for the moisture. Are you using any diaper ointment? It could be that the issue is the moisture on his skin, and not the diapers. Cloth does not wick moisture away and keep babies as dry as disposables. We have used coconut oil as ointment on our daughter and she has never had an issue with rash. Maybe try something like that before you try changing soaps.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• its not the oinment or diaper rash cream. I dont put diaper rash cream on just for no reason. He breaks out when hes in this diaper with poop. Even if i change his diaper ASAP. I have coconut oil but in a jar. i could use it. Im re washing the diapers AGAIN ugh
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I have used FLIP stay dry inserts and not had problems with rashes. They are designed to pull moisture away from the skin and keep the skin feeling dry. I also use LuSa booty balm (available on line or in some stores) or California Baby diaper cream (available at Target).
    Dd is SUPER sensitive to baby wipes. We usually use California Baby spray but the Target brand wipes in the purple packaging (sensitive and unscented) are the only ones she can tolerate.
    Our washing cycle is One hot/warm cycle with Country Save detergent and one wash cycle on warm/cold with no additional detergent. Once a week we do an over-night soak in Rockin' Green. Also, about once a month I do a rinse with vinegar (do not use diaper covers with vinegar- inserts only) to help break down any built up gunk (although rockin' green does take care of it pretty good- I just really love vinegar for cleaning).
    cont.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I would say join a cloth diapering group on CafeMom if you haven't already. A lot of the ladies in the groups can give very good advice. Hope this helps! Good luck:)
    bloomsr

• i use 7th generation diaper wipes and california baby calming diaper rash cream. Im not going to change cloth diapers for one. there is no money for that and i like Bumgenius. they work when new. but when used there is a lot of build up.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• thanks for your washing cycle but i have Bumgenius 4.0 so it wont work your way and like i said im not going to buy a new stash just for that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• You did not mention your sons age. Since it has to do with messy diapers you might ask a Dr. if it could be something in his diet that could be modified-especially if he is eating any solid foods or juice. Just a thought. Hope he is doing better soon.
    berryhappy1971

Answer by berryhappy1971 at 9:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• hes going to be 12 months on April 9th and no he does not drink anything but Breastmilk and he does eat whatever we eat but its very minimal. we nurse more then he eats solids
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Wish i had more advice but my sis (40yrs ago! LOL) could not use cloth diaper.. Mom would put her in cloth & as soon as she soiled them she would break out.. but mom could put her in a diaper & everything would be fine.
    -try changing detergent. maybe the detergent is reacting badly with his poop? ..
    - try using some type of barrier (baby powder/baby butt cream?)
    - try giving him time to "air out" (best after diaper change lol) so it gives his bottom some time to breath
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2011