Do you hate getting the "silent treatment"?

I hate the silent treatment. Maybe I hate it so much because it was the biggest tool in my mother's arsenal. It always made me feel horrible. I'd rather be slapped. I have a friend who from time to time gives the silent treatment for no reason. I've have another friend who does the same thing. It's seems to be how they control relationships because they do it to their husbands too.

I personally think it's a passive aggressive way to control people and keep them off balance.

Anybody else hate this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Relationships

• I can't stand the silent treatment, ecspecially because I'm the type of person to talk about the issues. You don't know what you've done wrong or what the issue is unless you talk about it. I don't want to guess or bend over backwards for someone who can't even talk to me about the problem. Nothing gets resolved by holding it in.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:46 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• YES, My grown daughter is doing it to me right now. It's been going on for 6 or 7 years now.

If I had a friend like that, she wouldn't be my friend very long.

Answer by louise2 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• The one friendship I finally had to give up after years of putting up with her mood swings, unpredictable behavior and silent treatments. She'd be fine for a while then all of the sudden without reason, she'd pull her crap. The last time she invited me and my husband to a festival. We didn't want to go but went anyway. She was in a bad mood and treated me like crap. That was it for me!

My other friend and I have only been friends for a year, she's a neighbor. One days she's bringing me cookies, the next day I see her walking her dog and she blows me off. She's done thie enough times now that I've figured it's her MO. I feel really bad because I like her but I don't like being treated like this.
    Anonymous

• Just another thought...when I'm going through something difficult I tend to retreat into myself. My friends know that I am like this and know what when I don't answer phone calls or emails, it's nothing to do with them.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 4:27 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My ex-boyfriend used to do it for three days at a time.

That's why he became EX.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:53 PM on Nov. 26, 2008