Is lifting 50lbs "bad" when you are pregnant? If so, why?

I have to lift a bunch of heavy things at work. I was just wondering if it would be dangerous while pregnant.

100

Asked by 100 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Your body is able to do everything you were able to do before you became pregnant. I lift 200lb residents all day at work and have throughout my whole pregnancy. I'm now 8 months pregnant and doing just fine.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• "Your body is able to do everything you were able to do before you became pregnant"

This...just be careful that you don't fall while handling something heavy that could fall on you. Course that would be true at any time.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• it's not recommended to lift that much while pregnant. It can cause too much strain on your body and can result in miscarriage or, later in pregnancy, preterm labor. this being what my dr has told me every time I've been pregnant. You may be just fine, or you may not. So why take the risk? Try to see if you can get a lighter workload or someone else to aid you with heavy lifting.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 9:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• im not allowed to lift anything over 20 pounds without help so I would ask your doctor
    michellesgirls2

Answer by michellesgirls2 at 9:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I am a CNA and lifted way more than that and because my body was use to it it was fine...now if you have issues your doc will tell youwhen l ifting that much is not advised just be sure to use good body mechanics.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I"m a CNA to hill2!! Hard physical work but yes, because my body was used to all the lifting before i became pregnant, I've done just fine with it. Unless you are having complications with your pregnancy I see no reason you can't do everyday things like you did before you were pregnant.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I don't know I would be careful. I have a tilted cervix my doc said its from lifting more than I should.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 9:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• It can cause your placenta to detach from your uterine wall. So not a good idea....
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• yes it's fine!!! i lifted more than that. i lifted 60 lbs every other day with my abs on th crunch machine at the gym.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• So long as you were doing it before you became pregnant, you should be fine. It's just not recommended that you start doing new things after becoming pregnant. The only reason that you would have to stop is if something happened and your midwife or doctor advised you to stop lifting things (like if you were put on bedrest).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:01 AM on Mar. 26, 2011