Got some horrible news today, i could really use an outsider's perspective (vent)

my husband came home from work today with news that he's been laid off. he's been working for a small, family owned music sales & repair business for almost a year (before that he was in the army, was shot in the knee and honorably discharged) and i guess the business is about to go under anyway. they can no longer afford my husband.

after hearing this news i suddenly feel like the weight of the world is on my shoulders. my husband's not as "in charge" of his business as a husband and father of 3 should be. he said he planned on filing for unemployment tomorrow but i know that really means next friday so i applied earlier this evening. as far as him finding another job, that's nothing he's going to rush to either. its not that he doesnt care its just his mom did everything for him so he's a procrastinator. for those of you wondering why i cant go to work, well putting 3 kids in daycare would cost more than i would bring in. and we can't work separate shifts either, legally he can't be alone with my kids for 2 years. i know im digging myself in a deeper hole here but it was one of those CPS cases that turned a bruise into abuse, in a nutshell. so anyway he can't stay home while i go to work.

then there's the issue of the flea problem in my house that my landlord refuses to take care of. we planned to move into our new house next weekend but now that we have nothing in this town, we're pushing the move to this weekend. so now there is the added stress of that, although i really do want to get out of this place though. the fleas are terrible!

so tonight i feel very de-personalized. im kind of sitting here with a blank look on my face, kwim? i dont know what to do or where to begin, as far as packing and the whole job situation. luckily our tax refund just hit the bank, it will be enough to get us through for a little bit. i just want to cry =( but im emotion-less at the same time.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• Well, it sounds like moving right now will be your best bet, especially to get rid of the fleas, if nothing else. Not having that worry alone will help you focus on other things. Maybe once you all get moved, and settled, things will look better. I have no idea what your religious beleifs are, but for me, whenever I feel like this, I honestly put my head down, and just start talking to God. Not even really praying. Just talking. He already knows the situation, but He will always comfort. If you have any close friends, maybe you can just sit and talk to them. Hoping all comes out well for your family. Take care.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• get a copy of his cv and email it to every job you can find or post it to others . then your hubby just need to go to the interviews :)

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 10:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I'm sorry you're having a shi*** week. *cyber hug*. I really hope things work out for you and your family. Just take it one day at a time, and I know it's easier said than done, but try not to overwhelm yourself with stressful thoughts. What goes down must come up, right?
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Wow! harsh!

About the only thing I have advice for is the flea problem. I recently went through the same thing. Another mom gave me some WONDERFUL advice that was backed up by a pet store employee. Go to the store, look in the laundry detergent aisle, near the oxy-clean stuff and get yourself a box or two of borax. Vacuum your carpets really well first. Sprinkle the borax all over the carpets in your house (1 box did about half of our 1100 sq ft apt), and work the heavy spots into the carpet with a broom. Also, get some spray stuff to spray under the beds, couches and other "shadow" spots that you can't get to with the borax. We also have cats so I had to do some Frontline Plus on them, but that'll be the cheapest, fastest way to kill the fleas.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If you do end up doing what Rosehawk said...make SURE kids are NOT around, especially toddler/younger.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• i know what your going through! my dh lost his job back in january. unemployment fell through because we dont have a computer to file on and everywhere else with net access is always packed. as soon as you get unpacked, go to your local health and human services office and file for emergancey foodstamps and medical for the family. my dh got laid off just after we spent most of our refund. we just had to sell our only mode of transpertation for rent.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• hugs I'm sorry babe. It will get better.

June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• group hug I'm sorry. You're strong. Things will turn around for you.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:09 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• thanks for the advice so far.

up until now we've been able to manage with 3 kids under the age of 5 without foodstamps, but i plan to apply for them tomorrow online. the economy is so rough right now and we were juuust getting by before when he did have an income, so now i really have no other choice. theres no telling when he will get hired somewhere.

thanks for the flea killer idea.

i really dont think things can get much worse.. unless i'm pregnant and dont know it. LMAO. my husband had a vasectomy last year but i think im going to knock on wood anyway so i dont jjinx myself!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I know you don't want to put the kids in day care... how about YOU going to work now and letting Dad handle the child care while he continues the job search? It would increase your income AND probably make him more responsible.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:44 AM on Mar. 26, 2011