Does the drug Reserpine explain Jesus' resurection?

This is a drug used during Jesus' time.  When given to someone who is restrained, they show deathlike symptoms for three days, then they "rise from the dead".  It was practiced among the ancient Celts/Druids and also used by Esines/ancient Palistines.  In this video Dr. Persinger explains this phenomenon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tQjSiPrbx8&feature=feedrec_grec_index

mommy2myles

Asked by mommy2myles at 9:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Religious Debate

• It is interesting and telling that some of you absolutely REFUSE to consider this reserpine explanation....hanging onto a story from thousands of years ago...is it fear that if you disagree with what is written in the Bible a bolt of lightning will come down and strike you dead? Really....it won't hurt or be fatal to just consider that this could be mch more believable than a resurrecton that YOU didn't even see!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• That makes sense to me! That would explain something that has always been very unbelieveable,IMO.
    WOw. Thanks! Very interesting.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Makes sense to me.
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 1:22 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• This is awesome! True or not, it gives a very good theory to something that has always been unbelievable to me.
    (I just like to assume that he never rose from the dead, but his body was stolen lol or removed by his followers after bribing the guards.)
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 9:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Do you mean the Dr. Persinger that has his PHD in psychology rather than an MD or a different one? You can decide to believe him or the medical doctors that disagree with him- either way, no one knows for sure and this is not anything new- there is no "proof" beyond a doubt-its all in what you decide to believe-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• interesting possibility...
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:44 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Shan, once again, THERE IS ZERO HISTOCIAL DOCUMENTATION FOR JESUS BEING REAL. The 'evidence' you say exists is all written after the fact- sometimes a hundred years or more and is all hear-say. Is hear say evidence allowed in court? Nope. And why not, hmmm?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:54 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I find it very plausible- if he knew the effects and had access to it and he was actually real of course.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:55 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I think it is an interesting theory. It works for me since I believe Jesus did not die on the cross.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:46 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Interesting possibility. Personally, I don't even believe there was a physical resurrection at all. I believe that pagan god-men, savior myths of the area were combined with the sayings of one or more teachers/philosophers of the time. Many of the people who talk about 'proof' of Jesus outside the Bible are referring to a few things that were written long after he lived. The only 'contemporary' references are suspected of interpolation (brief references with statements added by others later that don't match up to the writing style of the original historian). I definitely recommend that anyone who has read The Case for Christ read Challenging the Verdict: The Case Against the Case for Christ by Earl Doherty. It definitely shed some 'reasonable doubt' on the book IMO. It's not relevant to my beliefs whether Jesus lived or not, the teachings I find valid and true are what matter to me--whether he lived to say it or others did.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 26, 2011