How difficult will it be to raise a mixed child?

I am white & the father is black & I'm 11 weks pregnant. I was wondering how hard is may get while i raise this mixed child in this day & age?

seniortmb07

Asked by seniortmb07 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• People are mean no matter what any more. If your child was 100% white or 100% black - people are going to find something "wrong" with them anyway because that's how the world is. It's so sad. Everyone is always looking for the negative in people. I don't care what race a person is - we all look the same in God's eyes. Just always remind your precious little one of that. No matter what anyone says, they were created by a loving God who thinks the world of them - and you do too!
    bretsnag

Answer by bretsnag at 6:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• No harder than any other child. This day and age people dont care as much as you think they do. We are ALL part of the human race No matter what color our skin is!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I don't think it's any harder than having a non-mixed child. My youngest daughter is mixed(her father is african-american)and I have never heard a negative thing about it. She is a beautiful little girl and I'm sure your child will be too. Ohh I take that back about the negative comment. One time my husbands daughter told my daughter she was ugly because she was black. They were like 3 or 4 at the time. I was soooo mad, but she learns that stuff from her Dad. I myself wanted to go up to that little girl and say something. I told my husband we will not go over there again if that's how she will get treated. I hope your child never goes through that. It hurts you as a parent as well. :( Sorry that was long.
    MaggieMomof3

Answer by MaggieMomof3 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I meant my husband's brothers daughter said it.
    MaggieMomof3

Answer by MaggieMomof3 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I don't know that it would be any harder at all. I guess it would depend where you live. I live in CA in the central Valley, and frankly I am not sure that most people would notice, other than your baby is beautiful. Here everybody is mixed with something, and race really isn't a big thing.
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 5:17 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• i think its actually easier today than in times past, dont worry, i see many mixed race children and adults everywhere already its NO big deal, but growing up may be just a teeny bit difficult if you dont train your kids to defend themselves if such hurtful remarks should happen with other children, but its the same for any other as well, handicap, glasses, braces, too tall , too short, we are all different, what might be more important is how your child will identify himself as, . will he/she lean more towards one race or more towards the other race, ? all children are beautiful and smart
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 6:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• The only bit of advice that I can give is to make sure the child grows up knowing both parts of their history, the Caucasion side, AND their African American side. Also, our hair can be kind of difficult to deal with depending on if it is staight, wavy or coarse. There are certain products you can put in it, you may want to ask someone in his family for advise on this part because as an African American woman myself, sometimes our hair can get kind of difficult to manage, sometimes we can not just brush it and go on our way. I hope this helps, and congrats on the new addition in your family:)
    des10ey

Answer by des10ey at 7:31 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• congratulations. i think that mixed-race babies are some of the most beautiful that I have seen. You will run into some people who don't approve of your choices - that's okay!

Most people are supportive - I think you'll be JUST FINE!
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Girl, there are other things to worry about that will be hard about raising a child period, I really wouldn't even worry about that.

I am Mexican and my husband is part Caucasion and part Chamorro, we both also have some Native American. One of our sons is very dark with wavy hair, the other is lighter with very curly hair, and our daughter is white with straight blond hair...none of them look like either one of us and I really don't think anyone cares.

What's hard is finding the type of shoes they want, the foods the each like, and saving for college...that is what is hard about raising a child. LOL
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• i have to say i have raised 3 handsome,hot, mixed sons,which are now 27 twins, and 22, i have never had a problem, they were raised with much love, and they are very strong for that! i am mixed and my husband is portuguese... so as long as you raise your children with love, and strength, they'll grow up to be wonderful, individuals!!! goodluck, and don't worry!!!
    brownsugar342

Answer by brownsugar342 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2008