Has anyone started their own business?

I really want to start my own business, not a MLM, or a business opportunity, but my own business that is mine. Has anyone ever done this? And if so what did you do and how did it work out? I always want to and I have good ideas, but fear and lack of funds always holds me back? Just wanting to motivation and inspiration from those that have been there, done that, thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Money & Work

• OP...that's great! Couldn't tell from your post whether you had experience or not. You'd be surprised at how many people just decide to open a business with no plan or experience!

I've had a very successful business that I sold and hubby and I have had a business that just slipped down the tubes. You never know....
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 7:16 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I started my own house cleaning business about a year and a half ago. I just wanted some extra cash aside from what my husband makes to call my own. It's hard work and sometimes I hate it but it was an easy place for me to start.

I've cut down to a couple of jobs a week but I can't give it up because I love having the cash dollars!
    Anonymous

• I've been operating a custom gift basket, party favor, silk floral arrangement business now for about the past 10 years! I've had GREAT accounts and some mediocre ones--but business is business!

Everything I do is custom, so I don't need to store the inventory--just line up several suppliers, and order when you have a sale. I ordered minimums in the beginning to create a range of the things I can do, and now, when my suppliers have new products I'll order minimum pieces 1.) to keep my account in good standing/active, and 2.) to be able to showcase the "latest and greatest."

I get my best business from Weddings and Bridal Expos...which generates new business in the form of anniversary, birthday and other special occasion decor/events.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:51 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• How much business experience do you have? Do you have a business plan? do you know what your overhead will be? Will you need equipement, accountants, etc? All of these are very important to ANY business. If you don't have much experience, I would take some business administration classes (adult education classes are usually offered by the town or schools) and see if you can handle all the "back office" stuff before you jump in.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 4:24 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I have taken business courses, I have been in management positions, and I have done a lot on the business side, I see what it takes, and I have applied what it takes, I know some areas will require more learning for me, and I have written a business plan before. I have not done a business plan yet because I am still deciding what type of business I want to go into. And with today's economy that is not a decision to be taken lightly, and I know it will be a lot of work.

I just wanted some feedback from those that have been brave enough to take that step and can offer some input.
    Anonymous

• My business is in web design, graphic arts, and consulting for both. Right now my business is at a low.

Companygoddess- I chose your answer about friends and family as best answer. I normally show my porfolio and contract to new people. As for "friends", I learn from my mistakes after many late nights (or all nighters) when "friends" have slept like a baby and diss-out later.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 8:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Right now I am an admin assistant as a day job. I am also helping a foreign business with creating letterhead templates for price statement , acknowledgment, and regret letters as a native English speaker. I have also created logos for the company and plan on creating online advertisement when they decide. They are studying me closely. I am learning their culture and learning their language.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 8:54 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Girl, check this out:

Work at Home for Moms
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:18 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Yes, I have had my own business for nearly 10 years now. I kind of fell into it by accident, as an offshoot of my regular job at the time. Upon researching a bit, I found that there was a specific need in that field and I was able to make a business out of providing services to fill that need. I've developed a large network of clients and have been fortunate in that companies seek out our services vs. my having to go out and recruit business-our growth has been largely due to word of mouth. We are currently in negotiations with another company and looking at a merger of our respective businesses.

It can be done, you just have to find what's right for you. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• i opened my own business a year ago...it was a personal goal 2 open my own bus. b4 i turned 30...and i did it at 29 just n the nick of time! lol! it has a lot of pros....but honestly i am ready 2 go back 2 having a steady paycheck, and benefits and mayb a 401k....do more research than u think u already have...and instead of asking how they got into business i would ask would u do it again?! p.s. i opened my own grooming shop and pet supply store, and i have a home-made dog biscuit bus. that i'm toying with...not really positive i wanna go thru with it yet.
    yomamaporter

Answer by yomamaporter at 11:20 PM on Nov. 27, 2008