How young do children show signs of depression?

I'm a little worried about my 6 y/o. Granted he's been sick, getting over a virus, so he's been feverish & sluggish at times but we removed him from school at spring break (2 weeks ago) to begin homeschooling and I'm worried that part of his sluggishness might be depression over the change.
He was having a hard time in school, getting into trouble a lot, and our communicating with the teacher trying to find solutions didn't seem to be going anywhere so we explained to him what we were going to do and he has been happy about it but has told me he misses his friends. We've all been sick for the past 2 weeks so we've not been getting out of the house much and have watched a lot of movies since it's so cold out. If your children have depression, how young did they start to show signs & what were they? We have a history of depression on both sides of family.

oahoah

Asked by oahoah at 10:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I don't think there's any age too early for depression. Keep an eye on him, give him another week or two to recover, try to plan lots of play-dates, and if he's still acting depressed, talk to his doctor. I wouldn't give up on homeschool too quickly, but definitely keep and eye on him and follow up. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I thought of suicide in the second grade. before I even knew there was a name for it. I just wanted to die and I thought of ways I could do it. I was seven. theres no harm in talking to his doctor about it. its good youre watching out for it since you have family history. he might not even have to be medicated, play therapy could be all the help he needs. but only his doctor can determine that.
    Anonymous

• If there is a history of depression in your family, there is a strong possibility it will present itself in your children. Get a professional opinion.
    poisonivy2917

Answer by poisonivy2917 at 10:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I agree with all of the previous responses.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:01 AM on Mar. 26, 2011