When to give peanut butter

My son is 13 months and I've been told to not give hime peanuts or anything with peanuts in them. When is it ok for him to have this?

SarahShirey

Asked by SarahShirey at 3:48 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was told by one year but I gave my son it around 14 months and now at 2 all the sudden he's allergic to it!!! So I'd also say to wait until 2 even if the doc says its okay
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I'm waiting until my son 2 to introduce peanuts/peanut butter.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:49 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• 2 years. anytime before that gives them a greater chance of being allergic to it later.

Anonymous

• I gave it to my son at 1 but only in pb&j and not a lot but he is now 2 and eats peanuts and peanut butter crackers. He has never had a reaction. But some dr.s do say not til 2.
    Anonymous

• Three years is the best time to introduce nuts. The more that an allergic child is exposed to nuts the worse the allergy becomes, and even more when they are under three. We have no family history of nut allergies but we are still waiting until three like most sources suggest.
    luvmycutebaby

Answer by luvmycutebaby at 6:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My son got in to my peanut butter and honey one day at lunch when he was 8 months old, thankfully he had no reaction to it. But there are no allergies to any nuts in either side of the family and I had been eating peanut butter around him since birth so I figured he was safe. He is now 2 and loves the cheese crackers with peanut butter in them. I say when you and your doctor feel it is safe then that is when you should do it. My son will not eat real peanut butter just things made with it now so I don't worry so much about the whole peanut issue anymore.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 6:17 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• What does your pediatrician say? I would ask him/her.
    If your son has other food allergies that's all the more reason to wait. (One of my twins is allergic to dairy so we were told to hold off until age 3).

I've seen studies that suggest that the increase in peanut allergies is partially due to the fact that parents are introducing peanutbutter and other nut products sooner than was traditionally done. Twenty or thirty years ago parents waited until at least age 2.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:31 PM on Nov. 26, 2008