Tips for picking the best day care?

Im looking for a good day care.. Not really sure what to look for... Nervous about leaving my kids with strangers... they have always been home but with both my husband and I needing to work and my inlaws cant do it full time. I need some advice on how to pick the best one, and to make the transition easy! Any advice would be great! Thanks

thelessfamily07

Asked by thelessfamily07 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would go with a private sitter if possible. If that is unavailable I would go with someone who has teachers, with degrees in early ed. Also, I would look for a place that is highly rated AND do a background check on the owner. I worked at a daycare/preschool for 4 months. And you would be surprised what is allowed to happen. I was told to force children to lay on cots or sit in timeout. I seen "teachers"( none of them were really) Wrap there legs around toddlers to keep them in time out. I heard them talking about sex an usuing cuss words in front of children. One "teacher who was always on her phone would allow children to climb on shelves and jump off of them because she was to busy texting her baby daddy. I quit and took DS out because after seeing the same teacher squeeze DS face and shove him into time out. I talked to the owner and she said that is the way we do things here. Be careful and pick even more carefully.GL
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Hmm, I don't blame you for being scared. I don't plan on sending my kids, but if I did, I would want them to be in a small setting with just a few other kids and a caregiver who I clicked with and had the same philosophy as me. I would want to know if there was ever a problem, I could talk to the caregiver personally. I would like the idea of not too many other kids there. I think I'd prefer a home-setting....
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2011