Kitchen fire.

So it wasn't too big a deal but my cake batter overflowed the pan and caught fire. But honestly, if the landlord didn't give us a stove with electric heating coils, you know, the exposed ones from the fifties, it wouldn't have happened. Are these things even legal anymore? And we've been asking about a newer model since we moved in. We had to use a fire extinguisher to put it out so we don't feel safe using it again even if we cleaned it. I don't think you're supposed to anyway. It's once and done, right? But anyway, if the stove was included with the apartment when we moved in, is it the landlord's job to replace it or do we have to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I don't know honestly. I would think since it was technically your fault though that you would be responsible for replacing it.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:18 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Techincally, you should have put a sheet pan on the rack under the cake for incidents just as those. And no, the landlord doesn't have to replace a functioning appliance.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:51 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Your renters insurance should cover it.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2011