New male cat spraying my house, how do i get rid of the smell?

I adopted a male cat today and he has not stopped spraying my house. I know he is marking his territory but my gosh he has stunk up the house. Is there anything I can spray or use to get rid of the odor? I dont want to get rid of him so I want to figure something out. Also, can neutering him stop him from doing this?

tgeary

Asked by tgeary at 10:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Pets

• Natures miracle ... or... Bissell makes a really good cat urine and strain remover. (purple spray bottle) .. it works really well ... I had an elderly cat that used the spare room as a litter box .... I used the bissell spray (saturate the area heavily and let it soak for a bit) and it took the smell away... the two new cats I have never even noticed the area that I had to clean (cats tend to find urine smells quickly and remark) that could also be the reason why he is spraying.... I high recommend you get him neutered right away... Was this the reason the people who you got him from re-homed him? Good Luck... I have been there, its very frustrating
    TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 3:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Umm... I'm fairly sure that smell is almost impossible to get rid of. Hate to say it, but if you don't want the smell, you're going to have to neuter the cat or get rid of him. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Go to a garden or farm store for the product you're looking for. What I use is Fresh 'n Clean Pet Odor & Stain Eliminator (Oxy-Strength with Arm & Hammer Deodorizers).
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 11:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• vinegar

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Absolutely get your cat neutered right away, spraying is how a cat marks his territory. Since he's already doing it, neutering might not even stop the behavior, and that's BAD. It's very very hard to get rid of that smell, and even when we can't smell it, the cat might, and will return to spray in the same spot over and over again. Invest in a black light, and after cleaning the area, use it to make sure you got everything....
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• That is strange,Try scrubbing with soapy water.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:51 AM on Mar. 26, 2011