iam 38 weeks preg.. and i am giving my baby my last name am i wrong for that the babys dad changes his mind all the time about being in the babys life

meghan19

Asked by meghan19 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Baby Names

• No, I don't think youre wrong for giving your baby your last name. you can always change it if he proves he will stick around.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• give the baby his last name and have him sign paternity papers...it makes it so much easier to get child support if you go this route
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If I could do it all over again I would have given my son my last name. Do what feels right.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I gave my first daughter my last name and am very glad I did so with no regrets. It's up to you though, you do what you feel is right for you and your baby.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Give him your last name if that is what you want to do. The child's name has nothing to do with going for child support. If you are not married then paternity will have to be established anyway. Do what you think is right. Good luck.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 11:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• If daddy is unsure about being part of his child's life do not hesitate to give the child your last name. Being a dad shouldn't be a "Hmmmm, I'm not sure" deal. Screw that guy! Hopefully he will straighten up once he sees his kid, but if he doesn't your baby won't have his last name to remind him of his absentee father every day of his life.

Good luck! Congratulations on your impending arrival!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:36 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• i would say you have two options if you are unsure...you can give the baby your last name, or you can hyphen your two names together.
    babysam0506

Answer by babysam0506 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Usually i am all for giving the child the father's last name BUT If you are not sure that the father of the child is going to stick around then i wouldnt hesitate to give the baby your last name. If he can prove that he is going to stick around and be permanently in your childs life then you can always change your sons last name later.
    coolassmom87

Answer by coolassmom87 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• No, I don't think you're wrong for that. If he can't make up his mind about being in his child's life then he doesn't deserve to have someone carry his last name. I would give my daughter my maiden name if her father didn't want to be a part of her life or was in and out of it.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• you're not married to him so give the baby your last name. you're going to be the one who is taking the baby back and forth to school, sports, doctor, and wherever else. so it would make more sense if the baby had you're last name. i gave my daughter her father's last name and i regret it.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 8:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2011