TTC when you already have a toddler?

My husband and I recently found out I need a hysterectomy, and we have a small window of opportunity to have a child before the needed surgery. I already have 1 child though, and she just turned 2.

I was just wondering- how hard was it for you other moms to introduce a new baby to a family that already has a toddler? What were some of your struggles and how did you overcome them? Any tips/advice/suggestions you can give? Anything you wish someone would have told you?

Thanks so much in advance, ladies!

OmbreGracieuse

Asked by OmbreGracieuse at 11:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• First, I am sorry to hear that you need a hysterectomy. (((HUGS)))

For me it wasn't an issue. My oldest was 16 mos. old when my 2nd was born, he & his brother were 2 1/2 & almost 4 when my 3rd son was born and my older 3 were 16 mos., almost 4 and just past 5 when my youngest son was born. While I was pregnant we talked about the baby and when the baby was born we made sure we included the older children whenever possible...with getting diapers, with helping to soothe a fussy baby, we'd let them hold the baby with us on the couch and when I nursed the baby the older children sat with me and I read to them, that helped them to feel like that time was for all of us and not just for the baby (you could do the same for a bottle fed baby). We never dealth with any rivalry and all of the older children were huge helps with their new babies. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I second the hugs!

My daughter was a little over 2 when my son was born. At first she was a little put out and we had some behavior problems with her because she didn't quite understand. We stayed home a lot and worked on the behavior problems and spent a lot of time one on one with her. She adjusted and now she loves her baby brother more than anything else!

Something I wish someone had told me... parking lots are hell when you have a toddler and a baby! Put the baby in a carrier and hold the toddler's hand. Baby goes in the car last and comes out first so that your toddler is never left alone while you try to get the baby out of the car. Everything else just flows :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:12 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My eldest kids were born just under 2 years apart and then the next one was under 3 years later. It was actually a non-issue. The toddler child was young enough to just take it in stride as a given that Mommy had a baby and had to care for the new baby ahead of his/her needs at times. And growing up close in age made them best buddies. ♥ Good luck with ttc. :)
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:05 AM on Mar. 26, 2011