Can anyone offer tips on finding a job at the age of 25 with no prior work experience?

Finding a job is hard enough these days, however I feel embarrassed every time I fill out an application because I am now 25 and have basically no work experience...I met my ex husband when I was 16 and during the first few years he made good money and I took care of the house, then when we had kids we agreed I'd continue to stay home with them for at least the first few years, however when I felt like I needed a job simply to gain the experience and get out of the house more he would not allow it. My ex at that point had already shown some signs of being emotionally abusive though at the time I didn't pick up on it, when I told him I wanted to work it got much worse. I loved him and I didn't need to work for financial reasons so I didn't push the issue in order to keep the peace...in October of last year it became physical abuse, the little amount of money he gave me went into a hidden spot which I had planned to save and use towards getting away but two months ago he pushed me down and hit me in front of our kids and I was gone the next morning. My children and I have been living with my mother; I've used my saved money to help her with bills and the added expense of taking us in while I look for a job but I've had no success and money is becoming a serious issue. I feel like whenever a prospective employers sees my age and lack of experience that they'll assume I am simply lazy, the only work experience I have is at a fast food restaurant and I worked there for only 4 months, or I feel I am quickly overlooked for potential employees that have actual experience. My court date with my ex is not for another 7 weeks so I currently get no child support, and whatever money I get from state assistance goes straight to my mother to pay bills. I hate feeling like a failure as a mother and as a daughter; I need to do something to support my family and at this point I'll take any job. Any advice will be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• you should check out care.com u might be able to be a baby sitter and stay at home with your kids for now, or you could clean houses. at least you will be getting paid and have a little bit of experience. good luck.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• start volunteering at places and even though you don't earn money from it, it will give you the experience you need.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• if u are so lucky and you find a babysitting gig, you can save at least $50 from each paycheck and put it towards getting your CNA certification. you can get your CNA through different agencies or redcross. look up the prices on line. CNA courses last a few weeks...4 to 6 depends on where you take your classes. i think it would be a good idea to at least get your CNA certificate, then you will be able to get a job easier.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• sorry, another post. along with gwen20's idea.....go back to school. I'm actually doing a CNA course through my local community college. It's one semester and then you take the state test. You should qualify for financial aid :)
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• First I want to commend you on getting out of a violent situation... you have shown your beautiful children that it is NOT acceptable to put up with abuse... what a wonderful inspiration you are.

"It's not where you start out but the decisions you make about where you're determined to end up that matter"... you are proof this is true.

As soon as you commit to making something happen, the "how" will reveal itself.

I have aligned myself with some of the most successful businessmen in the USA... Steven K Scott, Bill Guthy and Greg Renker....and can show you an opportunity which has a personal development program with a comp plan attached.... and I live on the other side of the world!

It's up to you to find something that works for you.... don't limit yourself because of your past.

All the best and if you would like to message me privately I would love to hear from you...Donna :-)
    dabsbeauty

Answer by dabsbeauty at 1:41 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• You need to start by gaining job skills. Go to a community college, and take microsoft office classes (at least word, excel, and powerpoint), and one or two bookkeeping classes.

There are scholarships available for victims of domestic violence; the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE (7233) can point you in the right direction.

Good luck

Answer by rkoloms at 5:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• often cocktailing requires no experience. i went from teaching preschool to cocktailing a casino during the week and nightclub on the weekends with no experience at all, and i make a ridiculous amount of money. i earn minimum wage, but the tips are crazy. i count on 100 in four hours on friday and 160 in four hours on saturday. i absolutely recommend this work to anyone. it may not be someone's dream job, but as a single mother, i only have to work four days a week (thirty hours total) and i completely support myself, dd, my sister. no welfare, no child support, just a whole lot of ones and fives lol. good luck in whatever you do!
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 7:54 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Don't be embarrassed everyone has to start somewhere. Try looking at entry level positions for the most part they do not require tons of experience. When filling out anything if you have to put no experience also put but willing to learn. Don't give up. During the wait maybe take a computer class if possible. Not sure exactly what type of work you are looking for. Taking the steps to gain employment and be able to take care of things on your own is a great thing so just keep pushing for it, it will happen. Also look online for tips on doing a resume. There you can put as your objective: Seeking an entry level position where I can gain experience, and stability. I am dependable and wiling to learn. If you need any help you can message me. I hope you find something soon.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I know it's nothing glamorous, but I have lots of friends who have worked at Walmart their entire career.  They started there after high school and are now looking at twenty five plus years!  It's not easy, but it is a great place that hires, trains and even has an excellent management training program!  You can work your way up really quick.  Contrary to popular belief, their wages are great starting out with several bonus programs that start immediately.  Lots of people are looking at retirement and what Walmart has to offer... that is why so many elderly people go back to work there once they do retire.  I wish you the best!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:23 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Try a temp agency - they are used to placing people in entry level jobs to get experience and some also offer computer skills classes as a bonus. Taking a class or two at community college online or at night wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Answer by missanc at 9:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2011