Step dad

how can i get my hubby to stop treating my kids like step kids we have been together over 2 years and he treat my kids  like they are out cast but hes go good with his son it makes me so mad

mama2305

Asked by mama2305 at 11:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• You need to tell him that!! Flat out bring it to his attention EVERY time he does it. He needs to grow up and treat them all the same. The kids will see it and pick on the one you two have together and make that kids life miserable.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Maybe he doesn't know any other way to treat children.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• When it comes to my kids, I do see a differant relationship that my dh has with my dd(Hid stepdaughter), then his boys. Being a stepparent is really hard through. When you are dad the kids just natual love you, but when you are a step parent you need to earn the love as well as respect. Maybe you can find something that they have in common that they can do togeather. It will give him time to get to know his stepdaughter and she as well. Having a combined family is alot of work, but its all worth it.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• thats favortism..
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 2:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• They are his stepkids, so there shouldn't be anything wrong with him acting as though they are...Not all SPs love their SKs as their own...I'm a SM, and I love my SD as my own--I don't distinguish her from our 3 bios. But I do know that some stepparents don't consider their SKs their own and expect their spouse to take care of and discipline the children, and that should be okay. As long as they treat them well, don't hurt them, etc.

Have the two of you sat down and talked about both your roles and expectations as parents and as stepparents? Maybe he's not sure he can take over the father-figure role in your home. Or maybe he has some resentment for your ex and it gets put onto your children. But if you don't talk to him about it, it will never change.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 3:18 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Well tell him that he married you with kids and he better not treat your children different from his own, they are just kids, he knew you had kids when he married you, you need to tell him you love your children and you won't let him treat them differently or rude and if he continues tell him you will leave if he keeps it up....
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2011