What do you think it is for... ?

I raise my 13 year old brother and I have been finding the blades from small school pencil sharpeners in his pants pockets when I do the laundry. I didn't think anything about the 1st one as I figured maybe the sharpener broke but when I found a 2nd one I asked him about it. His first response was "I don't know" then he said his friend gave it to him. When I asked why he just kept saying I don't know. I then said it is for something, I am not stupid and he got a smirk on his face and said mmmaaayybeeee and left it at that. I brought it up again tonight and he now gave me a story of "we use them to sharpen our pencils more" , "we try to see who can get their pencils the sharpest" "it's the cool thing to do, but I won't do anymore." usually he is pretty honest but, I guess maybe it is just a parents intuition especially since I was his age a lot shorter of time ago than parents of a 13 year old. I'm just not buying it. And the only other think I can think of is drug paraphernalia but I just don't see any other signs of it.
Please help for all you experienced parents or teachers out there. Teachers usually know what is going on with the students.

CarlieJS

Asked by CarlieJS at 11:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• anything from cutting(himself) to drugs.
    Anonymous

• My first thought would be he is cutting. Check him for cuts or scars. If he is he needs to see a Dr. Or Drugs. that really is the only reason a 13 yo boy would need blades for. Unless he is cutting something other than himself. animals or something. But the first thing is to really find out what he is using them for and take it from there.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 9:48 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I agree with Anon - either cutting himself or cutting drugs.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:21 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Thanks ladies, those were the only things I could think of too. I did ask my Aunt who is a 7th grade teacher because I was sure she would know what kids are doing and why. She had not gotten back to me which is why I posted this on CM. She did however get back to me this morning so I am going to share what she said in case any of you other moms have any kids doing the same thing.
    "They are using razors to cut themselves. Calling themselves the slashing clubs. Check him for cuts on his arms and hands."
    CarlieJS

Comment by CarlieJS (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2011