How do I approach my 2 1/2 year old to start sleeping in undies instead of diapers at night now that we started potty training? Do I just send him to bed one night in them, and let it be??

hmellom4

Asked by hmellom4 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have to get up and wake him up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. He's not going to know he is in his undies when he is asleep!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Ok, so pretty much I have to do to him what I did when he was a baby? Get up every couple hours and take him to the bathroom. Ugh...lol. He does awesome during naps, but now I just have to buckle down and deal with bedtime. Ok. Thanks!!
    hmellom4

Comment by hmellom4 (original poster) at 11:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• I don't worry about night myself....especially not in the 2's. Nightitme comes and often takes longer. My daughter jsut turned 3 and is potty trained during the day but not at night...sheis wet most mornings.WHen she stays dry most night s then I will take pullups away...I just don't stress about night time
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• if you are training the baby then you need to start using pull-ups instead of a diaper and take him-her to the bathroom before bed time and don't give them anything to drink when you put him down.
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Pull ups didn't work with both of my kids. They still thought they were diapers. I always had to get up and give them a gental reminder. But soon they didn't even need the reminder.
    Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 12:04 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Or you could just put him in pullups and make a big deal out if when he wakes up dry and reward him!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 12:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• What I did was put my son in underwear and reminded him when he went to bed that it was okay to get up and go to the bathroom. How long has he been dry during the day? I would at least wait a month after being dry during the day. If he is a sound sleeper at night you may want to try to wake him up at some point during the night.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I wouldn't add the extra stress of night training yet. Just focus on day. With my kids I let them sleep in undies when they were consistently staying dry at night. Keep in mind that it can take a while for muscle control to develop and many many kids will wet the bed for a while. Its not worth the stress to push it. Just focus on day.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:55 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Nighttime training usually takes longer. I've always trained them during the day and at night put them in a diaper. When they are consistently waking up dry, then try doing underwear at night.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:40 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Thank you all so much for all the great advice! Im not gonna stress over wearing undies to bed at night right now, just concentrate more on the daytime. Thanks again!!
    hmellom4

Comment by hmellom4 (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2011