Cryin' it out?

At what age do you just let your baby cry her/himself to sleep. My daughter is 4 1/2 months old.

TishAnn752

Asked by TishAnn752 at 11:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My pediatrician suggested letting them CIO when they start waking up in the middle of the night, and struggle to stay awake (when it is more out of routine than hunger, ect). He also suggested not letting them cry for more than 5 minutes because it creates an impression that their needs aren't being met, and can translate into lifelong depression. I took his advice and we have NEVER had a problem with it.

Good luck!
    OmbreGracieuse

Answer by OmbreGracieuse at 12:02 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Not that young! I don't believe in it, for the most part, but occasionally it's necessary - but not til the child is well over a year old!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• CIO advocates say six months at the earliest.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Mine is 6 months. I let her cry for about 5 minutes, no more than 10, before going in. Anything longer than that is just mean =/ Most times, she'll whine, then start playing, then pass out lol.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• for me 18 mts.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• aww, as long as you know that she's perfectly fine, not wet, hungry or dirty or anything...then I would let her cry it out...but probably no longer than 5 minutes or so... You just dont want her to get accustom to you running there and holding her til she falls asleep....I would get a lullaby cd and play it for her at night time...eventually, she will pick up on lullaby music = bed time...good luck mommy!!
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 11:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2011

• Not until they're at least 18 months. I don't believe in CIO for infants.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2011