Area rug cleaning

Any tips on how to clean a VERY large persia area rug that's laying on top of wood floors? Vaccuuming just isn't cutting it, I need it CLEAN!

spastic_poodle

Asked by spastic_poodle at 12:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• If it's a valuable rug, I highly suggest calling a professional to come clean it. Any of the do-it-yourself methods run a high risk of damaging it. If it's valuable, then it's almost certainly loomed from 100% wool and I'm guessing you have no idea if it's colorfast. If it's a cheapo rug, you can possibly just do it yourself. If it's valuable, call a pro.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:13 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• take it outside and beat it on a line with a rug beater. If it is soiled, it needs to be professionally cleaned and will cost between $70 and $120.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I know a lady who takes hers to the car wash in the back of her truck, clips them up in the self serve bay on the clips for floor mats, then sprays them down with the hand held sprayer. When she gets it home, her and her husband lay it over the fence to air dry outside. (it will be HEAVY when wet)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Could you use a Rug Doctor possibly?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I would have it professionally cleaned.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2011