Do you or have you ever suffered from Sleep Paralysis?

Sleep Paralysis
Have you ever felt like you were awake but unable to move? You might have even felt afraid but could not call for help? This condition is called sleep paralysis. Sleep paralysis may leave you feeling frightened, especially if you also see or hear things that aren't really there. Sleep paralysis may happen only once, or you may have it frequently -- even several times a night.

What does it feel like when it happens to you & how do you cope? It used to happen to me a lot when i was in my teens, i want to say around 17. It is such a terrible feeling & always scared the crap out of me. Anyone else?

iluvmykidsxoxo

Asked by iluvmykidsxoxo at 12:16 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Health

• I had heard somewhere that its the bodys' way of protecting ourselves from acting out our dreams...so it paralyses itself so we dont. NOt sure how true it is tho.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It happens to me about once every two months or so, but it's not scary to me anymore. I can understand as soon as I wake up and I'm unable to move that I just have to wait for my brain to adjust to being awake, then I can move again.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 12:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It's happened to me a few times and everytime it scares the crap outta me
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:26 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• When I was pregnant with my son I would wake up and not be able to move. I would hear someone come into my house but couldn't move and I would think "Wait, it's not time for my hsuband to be home" and start to panic a little bit. I would then see a man in my doorway that I didn't recognize but I couldn't move, I couldn't yell, I couldn't even keep my eyes open and then I would be back asleep.

It was terrifying. I never realized it was sleep paralysis until AFTER I woke up. The only way I coped was just living it lol. There was nothing else to do.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Ati_13 - Yes it can be very unsettling at times. I remember hearing voices & screaming in my ears while i couldn't budge & this enormous amount of pressure on my chest. One time i remember looking at my body from the ceiling almost like i was trying to fight myself back in. Crazy stuff when it gets that bad.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Comment by iluvmykidsxoxo (original poster) at 12:30 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I just had an episode not too long ago. I fell asleep and I woke up and couldn't move or speak. I tried to cover my face up because I saw someone in the hall but whatever it was wouldn't let me cover my face up. I ended up floating down the hall into my room thinking to myself "what the hell is going on?" Then when I woke up, my face was covered up and I realized I was able to move and I was freaked the f out.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 12:33 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• this used to happen to me a lot too. do you remember the psychic that montel williams used to have on his show? she said it was actually your spirit leaving your body, and when you are awake without your spirit you experience that paralysis.
    i think it could be like corbysmom said, just your brain needing to adjust!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It's only happened once or twice to me, and yeah, it is SCARY!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:01 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It is our body protecting ourselves from our dreams. Our body is supposed to be paralyzed when we're in a dream state. During sleep walking, we don't dream. When we are dreaming, and we start to move or speak, we usually wake ourselves up. It's our body's way of keeping us in bed instead of jumping out of our window when we think we're jumping into a pool.

Once I learned that, the sleep paralysis didn't scare me anymore.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 8:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2011