This is for Jehovah's Witnesses... Simply a personal question.

I was raised JW. Now happily pagan. My mother is still JW. Her husbands have all left her and her friends and family (accept her mother and 1 sister) are all non JWs... She firmly believes that after Armegedon she will live forever in a perfect paradice earth... My question is WHY would you want that? To live forever without your loved ones? She believes that we will all recieve oblivion (destruction of the soul into nothingness). So why would you want to live for forever knowing you lost your children, family and friends if the alternative is just simple destruction? To me destruction w/o consiousness of any kind is much better...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:30 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, I'm not JW, I'm Buddhist, so I can't answer for anyone who is JW. But here's a thought anyway... lol... If you're in perfect paradise, then you are in a state of bliss and it doesn't matter who is with you. What matters is that you are with God. I think of it like the concept of enlightenment in Buddhism. A fully enlightened being is not a slave to attachments, and so they would absolutely choose Nirvana over being with their loved ones.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:33 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I have to agree with bluefrogmama. I don't think actually that some JW's ever even stop to think of it like that.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Well, as far as I was always taught it would not be a place where they would be "enlightned" just a place without pain, hatered, anger, yada yada... They believe that they will live in a paradise very similar to Eden... Adam and Eve weren't enlightened... Just pain and "issue" free...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I wouldn't want to live forever without my dear Adam and my Little Muncher Man or any of my friends and loved ones for that matter. To each his own!! Personally I'm happy to Pagan like you.
    jeweldog

Answer by jeweldog at 5:06 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• As you know I'm not JW, but since others that aren't JW made a comment I think I will too. Maybe it's like my belief that when you are in heaven w/God there will be no pain, sorrow, etc. so if that's what she's thinking then once she dies and goes to that place she will not remember that you were not with her. She may feel kind of sad now thinking that she will be living like that and you and her other loved ones won't be sharing that with her. Again, just a thought.
    T.C.38

Answer by T.C.38 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Because they believe that Jehovah comes before anyone . That on paradise earth , we wont be lonely or yearning for our family members there. That feeling wont exist there. Instead they will be with their true brothers and sisters of Jehovah. Cont. Below....

.
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 5:53 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• As a Christian, we do also put God first before anyone , but dont shunn anyone out. The truth is the truth. We have His word to live by. But to still live on this earth and leave people out of your life because they are not JW, expecially family , i have to admit has gotten to me in the past. God IS Love, so despite difference in religion, I as a Christian would never ever "shunn" or seprate from my family. I beleive that they will all find Christ one day as long as i keep praying. All we can do in the mean time is Love them unconditionally. Just like God does us. Sin and all.

One side of my family is Hard core JW. My uncle in law is an elder . They are not shy to make us feel unwelcomed. At all. To them we are nothing but Satan worshipers. Yet a pray to The Lord everyday and continue to love then unconditionaly.
    aMbeR012005

• I really can't imagine wanting to be with a God who would be that "critical". But then I absolutely believe that we are all from God. part of God, and God is part of us. Therefore we cannot be diminished. I've met several JW's and I really think they're kind of loony in their thinking. But then some may think I'm loony, too. LOL. But that's okay. That's "their" way and I respect them for it.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 6:19 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• JW believe that God will wipe their memories of their loved ones that have not been resurrected. So they will not have to live remembering lost loved ones. Personally, I wouldn't want to live without my family and friends and I certainly wouldn't want to forget them!
    Arismama05

Answer by Arismama05 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I've been one of Jehovahs Witnesses all my life, I'm sure it seems hard to comprehend but Gods original purpose when he created the earth was for adam and eve to live in a paradise earth. God doesnt change and neither has his purpose. Jehovah is a loving God your mom has faith in his promises. We know that when we are ressurected we will not have knowledge of anything that will cause us pain such as not having our loved ones with us. It will be a thing of the past but for a long time. your family and many others will have the oppurtunity to learn about Jehovah and his will and maybe live forever too. I hope that made since im kinda tired i know what i was trying to say
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Feb. 7, 2009