Anyone ever just QUIT!

The other night my family had a family emergency come up which required me to take off work immediately. My brother in law was on the verge of commiting suicide so we were headed to MO that night from OK. My boss told me there was no way i could get off....there were other prior incendents that have occurred that led to my husband and I's decision for me to quit. I was working for a friends in home daycare so it wasn't the best choice for me to quit for teacher to child ratio if she couldn't get anyone in there to help her but she managed to. What did you do for the time being off if you have quit a job suddenly?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 1:24 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• Back when I was first married our first argument was about me taking money out of the bank..new husband said it was his money and so I said " fine if you want all the money to be yours then I will quit my job and make no money" he was like "what do you mean" so i called up my job which was only fast food anyways but still a job... and told my boss " I quit".. and told the new hubby there all the money is yours.....( I was just 19 at the time )
    And then my last place of employment and loved the job dearly I up and quit because they would not give me daytime hours... I explained I can only find childcare during the daytime and they were like " well you need to work a rotating shift" and I told them that I wouldn't do it unless all the employees dad a rotating shift and the boss was like " well some have school and can't do a rotating shift" and I was like "I can't either because I cannot find evening childcare" so I left
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 1:38 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I have. A couple of jobs I just could stand to do another day. One I actually liked but when my mil at the time got ill and needed someone to help I was her first choice, my boss said no, and I said goodbye. Sometimes there is no win/win. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• You will not be eligible for unemployment compensation.

You will not be able to use your former employer as a reference.

You burned a bridge, and will likely need to take a step backwards in your career.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:22 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Rkoloms is right.

That said, I walked out of a job when I was 16. I was a waitress and somehow our manager only scheduled 4 waitresses for the busiest weekend of the year, and then allowed 2 to call off. So it was just me and another girl, and rather than block off half the restaurant and only seat our section, he left us to manage 22 tables each (Normal was about 6 or 7). THEN he hid in the back and smoked cigarettes and did nothing. When someone asked to see a manager, he wouldn't come out and told me it was "my problem", so I handed him my ticket book and told him that some had their food, some orders needed entered, some orders were up, some people were ready to leave, and it was now HIS problem, the look on his face made it worth it.

Times were WAY better then though, and I was able to wheel across the street to the next restaurant and go home with a new job that day. Plus, I didn't have kids or bills to worry about.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I actually just did last month. It was also in a daycare. I've never just left a job without giving appropriate notice, but I didn't really feel I had a choice at the time. Rkoloms is correct in saying that you won't be able to collect unemployment. But I was able to pretty quickly get another job-I was honest in explaining the situation to my potential employers, and my other references were excellent so it didn't really affect my ability to get another job.
    kshorty

Answer by kshorty at 6:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I worked at Wal-Mart for about a month. It was awful. For training they just stuck us in teh a back and we had to do computer tests. No one ever came to check on us or anything. Then they put me in electronics. I was told to walk around and straighten up stuff and assist customers. Then I had superviors yelling at me for walking around because it looked like I wasn't doing anything. One time one manager told me to go do something so i did, then another manager came up and yelled at me for doing that, and told me to go do something else, then the first manager started yelling at me again... I hadn't been trained on register yet and I got left ALONE in the dept on a Friday night. A whole bunch of stuff got stolen, I had a ton of pissed off customers, and the manager came over and started spazing out on me because it was such a mess. I just handed him my keys and walked out. Not worth it at all!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2011