My son is so clingy

My son is 13 months and I have been a stay at home mom since he was born. The past few months he started to get separation anxiety and now everytime I leave the room he throws a hissy fit, and if i leave him with my husband to go to the store or something he screams and waits at the door the entire time. How do i get him over this?

SarahShirey

Asked by SarahShirey at 4:43 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Separation anxiety is very common amongst the toddler set and comes and goes as they figure out who they are, how big their world is, and their role in their big world.

The best thing you can do with him is practice. Tell him you're going to go do X, then leave the room, do something quick in another part of the house and then come right back. You can practice when DH is home by saying "mommy is going out now I'll be back" then go take a five minute walk and come back. You can gradually go for longer walks. That should help.

It will get better. Over the summer my then 18 mos old twins had a major case of separation anxiety but we practiced and they got over it.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:28 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I'm waiting for answers because I have this problem with my 22 month old and his 3 year old brother is a little that way, too.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 5:13 PM on Nov. 26, 2008