I'm a new stay at home mom. What do I do all day with a 4yr old and 2yr old?

I need ideas for a schedule and activities.

momof2boysinga

Asked by momof2boysinga at 4:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• well what you can do is activities with them and have them busy that way you can do what you do around the house also. I have been a stay at home mom for almost two years and the thing i have found to keep me from going insane is to do adult things also hang out with friends when you can or take on projects that you will have fun doing . Just have fun with your life and have fun with your kids.
    onwhotmama0721

Answer by onwhotmama0721 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I would schedule! I have a 2 year old. I have Tuesday park days, and Wed. swim days. Mon. is our grocery store day. Thursday is free movie day at our theater, and Fridays we go visit someone, or invite someone over. We also have a pretty good schedule for when we do things, because I found out after my first week off, that when he knows what to expect he behaves a ton better. We watch Super Why at 8:30, then we play outside for awhile. Next we do our daily thing. Then we eat lunch and take a nap. Simon sleeps until 2:30 or 3. When he wakes up we sing songs, and work on letters, numbers colors, and shapes for about a 1/2 hour or longer if he wants to. Then we do some kind of art, that usually last an hour. Then Simon gets to play in the play room with whatever. He does a ton better by himself at that time, when he knows he has had my attention most of the day.
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 5:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I am also a SAHM with a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old. I sit myself a schedule and stay with it. I plan out on Sunday evening what has to be done the following week (shopping, dr appts, mommy groups etc...) I write it all down on a calander and then I clean and work on laundry in between errands. If I didn't have some sort of a structured day I would never get anything done lol!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• We wake up around 8 and are moving around 9. I go to a park just about every day. Mainly because I need my sanity! :) We're at the park around 10. We're home around 12 to eat lunch. The "baby" who is 15 months, takes a nap from 12:30 to about 3:30. My son who is 3 watches tv or has some other "quiet" time from 12:30 to about 2. Then the older guy and I go outside to play. We have a swingset, pool, etc. We blow bubbles or do some other activity. Chalk on the sidewalk, fingerpaint, etc. Anything to amuse ourselves. Sometimes if the baby wakes up early, we do another outing.

Brenna

Answer by Brenna at 9:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• mops.org - Mothers of Preschoolers!!
    play, go to storybook times (our libraries, bookstores and museums have them), parks, mall, etc. I would be careful not to overstimulate them.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 9:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I recommend you find a mom's group to get together with. You and your children will make friends and then you can have playdates as well as group get togethers. Get a routine going so you kind of have plan. Time to get up, dressed, breakfast, clean rooms, playtime, outing or errands, lunch, naptime, quiet play time, DVD, dinner, baths, storytime, bed. There are groups here for specific ideas on activities for toddlers. Find local papers that advertise free stuff for you and your kids. Our library does craft/story time. Swimming is great if you can get a little pool, the park, McDs playplace. Vacation Bible school is great for the 4 year old if they have one and you aren't opposed to the idea. As your kids get older, they will be able to enjoy many of the same things. Once you have a three year old, it will get a little easier to entertain them together. Have fun, fun, fun!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 10:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Discover Blue's Clues. I love it!! We've learned deductive reasoning, shapes and odd colors, sign language, etc.
    Misha_Barista

Answer by Misha_Barista at 2:20 AM on Jul. 12, 2008