Why isn't the thought of STD's or AIDS enough to scare a person out of sex?

Why does everyone have the mentality of "It won't happen to me?" I would be scared to death to cheat on my SO for fear of catching a horrible disease or something!!!! What is wrong with people?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Just for Fun

• People just don't believe they're vulnerable. This is nothing new, sadly.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:46 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Well, because lots of people have lots of sex and don't end up with an STD. Believe me, I've had LOTS of sex with LOTS of partners, and I wasn't always too safe about it. Yet, here I am, perfectly healthy. Stupid, but perfectly healthy. Plus using a condom lowers your risks significantly. And even if a person is not caught up in a "it can't happen to me" attitude, hormones are powerful, and in the heat of the moment a lot of rational thought just simply flies out the bedroom window.
    Anonymous

• I have read that a person can be exposed to and get the AIDS virus but not get HIV or full blown AIDS for up to 10 YEARS after exposure. That is sooo scary to think about. I also know that in the schools, if a child has AIDS or HIV it is kept highly confidential and even staff aren't allowed to know because of HIPPA rights. That is scary!
    Anonymous

• hey the threat of an unplanned pregnancy was enough to make me wait till marriage! But then my mom is one of the most fertile people in the world. She got pg using all sorts of different birth control options. LOL, mom was on the pill when she got pg with me!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:59 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I have an aunt who was unable to have kids of her own because she had some STD when she was younger. How sad is that!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:00 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I wonder about this myself. I guess I am not "cool" because I haven't had very many partners. I didn't trust men to tell the truth about where they had been....LOL People today seem to have no problem hopping from bed to bed and I am amazed that they don't come down with something.
    Anonymous

• Because they just want to live like whores and sluts and not think about the bad things that may happen to you. I dont get why people think its cool to sleep around with any and everyone...How gross!
    Anonymous