Spit Up

My newborn is almost 2 weeks old and since last night has spit up two times. I don't really know if it is spitup or vomitting or even if there is a difference. Both times it was within a couple minutes of starting a feeding and it was forceful, and seemed like a lot of liquid came out. Is this normal? Or does it mean he has an upset stomach? It didn't really seem to bother him, he just went back to feeding and it didn't happen again until 2 or 3 feedings later. I am exclusively breastfeeding. Could it have been something I ate? I have an older child who never spit up so I am totally unfamiliar with this.

scc4377

Asked by scc4377 at 4:58 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• a lot of babies spit... and some spit after every meal. but yes it could be possible that you ate something "wrong". you might want to get your little one checked by a doctor.

and what else beside liquid should come out of the baby that only gets brestmilk?!

our daughter had a phase where she was throwing up after every feeding. she did that for about 2 weeks then it just stopped. i went to the doc with her and she said its all good. babies do that sometimes.

so if you think something is not normal, then pls go to the doc.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:05 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Both of my boys spit up...I breastfeed a little while with Aidan...Some babies just do that...Aidan would do it constantly ...Everytime he ate and it always seemed as though he spitting EVERYTHING back up..My doc said that is impossible...So unless the little one is crying alot I woudnt worry about it!!! : )
    calaid

Answer by calaid at 5:07 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• you might want to call your doc and have the baby checked out my little girl did this and at first we thought nothing of it then started loseing weight a few weeks after she started spitting up like that the dr had her checked by a specialist he diagnosed her with GERD gastro esophigal reflux disease and now she takes two prevacids twice daily and it has stopped all her problems
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 5:59 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• my baby did this too,he is just getting used to his digest system
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 6:31 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• my son is 8 months old and just finally quit spitting up. somedays it seemed as if he spit up EVERYTHING HE ATE... but he still gained weight fine and so it was normal. My pediatrican toldme not worry about it unless he acts like it bothers him or if its projectile and if he didn't gain weight ..
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 6:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Both mine did this and as long as they are gaining weight and having the right amount of wet and dirty dipes and not fussing, it's just a laundry problem. Lucas is just now getting better after 3 months! I don't remember when Isaac quit but I remember I was always washing! Now, if he's not gaining or is fussy then worry but otherwise if it doesn't bother him, I wouldn't let it bother me.
    miss_ang

Answer by miss_ang at 7:08 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My middle child was the spit up king (still is, but now he gags) I wouldn't be too concerned about it right now.
    BSeignemartin

Answer by BSeignemartin at 8:02 PM on Nov. 26, 2008