What is it about juice?

Some people say it is healthy and others steer clear of it. I am not talking about for a baby, I mean for myself. I understand that a raw fruit/vegetable would be healthier than juice. But does juice still have any health benefits?

100

Asked by 100 at 2:18 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Food & Drink

• It offers some vitamins, but it's so high in calories and isn't veryfilling that it's not worth it, especially if you're trying not to gain weight. It's amazing how many calories it adds up to.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I try to stay thin and I find it is easier if I drink vegetable juice instead of fruit juice. Fruit juice, even when 100% fruit, has a lot of calories. If you down a few bottles a day in the name of health, you could actually be hurting yourself with excess weight. Become fascinated with nutrition labels - very eye opening :) You'll find out that some juices have no vitamins except the added Vitamin C. Hmmm...
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 2:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Fresh squeezed juice you make yourself has the same nutrients as a piece of fruit, however even then it lacks the fibre which is the part of the fruit that makes you feel full and satisfied. So if you don't eat any fruit for some reason, a small glass of juice a day might be beneficial, if it's fresh squeezed, but for the most part it is not very healthy.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:02 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Orange juice is a good source of potassium. My doctor told me to drink orange juice with the water pills which were prescribed for the treatment of my hypertension.
    shortcake120

Answer by shortcake120 at 6:16 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• the problem with juice...both fruit and vegetable juice is you lose the fiber. so with juice you are getting all the sugar without the fiber.
    it is better to eat your food the way it comes naturally, not just for weight but for good health.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:19 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• if it' fresh squeezed then yes it can be very healthy, but the fruit drinks on the market have a lot of sugar and additives that make it bad for you.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:46 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Yes 100% juice does have health benifits. It's just better to get your vitamins and other benifits from the actual fruit or veggie. When you eat the actual item it will leave you fuller then a glass of juice. Plus you will be getting the fiber from the fruit as well. Juice is mostly sugar even if it is 100% natural.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• V8 juice is good and they have alot of different varieties now; also the ones that say 100% juice are good
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It's relative - you're best off only ever drinking water and getting all your nutrition from solid, unprocessed food. You're worst off drinking carbonated drinks, beer, hard alcohol, and juice "cocktails" or juice "blends" where they use concentrate and add sugar or corn syrup. On a sliding scale in between those two extremes of best and worst are 100% juice, coffee, tea, wine. If you have a choice of water or 100% juice, drink the water. If you have the option of 100% juice or Pepsi, drink the juice.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:07 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Sure it offers benefits. There are some juices with a lot of vitamins. Granted, there is also a lot of sugar in some juices, but I don't think it's as scary as some people make it out to be. I drink juice and I'm healthy and at a good weight.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2011