What should i do if my sons school thinks hes ADHD and they think he should be on meds

my sons school called me in for a meeting and told me my son has a hard time focusing in class he acts like hes not interested and board he is also way behind academically i think maybe hes not as mature as the rest of the kids but the school wants him to see a dr and be checked for ADHD and if he has it maybe be put on meds and im not sure about the meds

christinaj1979

Asked by christinaj1979 at 2:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Kids' Health

• In my experience, sometimes teachers have insights that we as parents may miss. It's happened to me (not ADHD, for my elder son it was dyslexia and for my little boy, that he has immature fine and gross motor skills development). This is not to say the school is right, but it could not hurt to follow their advice and have him tested by a professional.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:40 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• You should get him tested, though medication is purely an option. It's not mandatory. But if your child isn't learning appropriately, then that should be an option you highly consider. If you don't think he's maturing properly, talk to the principal at your sons school about maybe holding him back a grade. But I would get him tested before you have that talk.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I read recently that food dye is known to cause ADHD symptoms - worth looking into...
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 2:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• PP - In regards to the 2007 Southampton study, the FDA states that both it and the European Food Safety Authority independently reviewed the study‚Äôs findings. Both concluded that it did not conclusively connect food dye with ADHD symptoms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It was a commonly assumed connection, though, for many years, that red/pink food dye has that affect on some kids. There must be something to it for the idea to have persisted for so many years.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:54 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I would most definitely do the testing. My stepdaughter's (SD's) mom (BM) thought that my SD's problem was not being mature enough, too. My DH pushed for 2 years (including through Court) to get SD tested. She finally was last Sept, and she was diagnosed with severe ADHD combined type. Because the testing was put off, my SD has fallen so far behind that while in 2nd grade (after having had to repeat K before going to 1st), that she is on k-1st grade level in almost all skills/knowledge. I'm not saying you are ignoring the signs, but it is better to be tested now and get told there's nothing going on, then to put off the testing and let him get behind. There are many treatment options. Feel free to PM me for more information on what happened :)

Also, if he is diagnosed--THE ADHD BOOK OF LISTS is AMAZING. Definitely check it out if he gets tested and diagnosed...
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 3:05 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My son is highper and the school tryn that on me.I told them my son aint takin no meds.adhd med can cous health problems.Why risk it.Just cous kids are highper.If they dont want to pay attichion then help them more with there schooling.I am tired of doc putting kids on med they dont need.
    ozzydane

Answer by ozzydane at 3:12 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• PP: are you being ironic, ozzydane?
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 4:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Sometimes meds are not a bad option. My daughter asks for hers every morning. The morning she started taking them...an immediate change in the quality of her writing and artwork (for the better). She now sits for long periods of time and draws with pencil. Her pictures are AMAZING! Don't condemn the meds until you seek a psychiatrist and cover all of your options. I had my daughter evaluated at the age of four and just now started on meds at the age of 8.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:13 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I went through the same thing with my son. I had strong feelings of not wanting him to be medicated. What I found out after educating myself about ADD was that it is not a behavior problem it is a chemical imbalance problem. If your child has ADD it means that his brain does no produce dopimine. If that is the case he literally does not have the ability to concentrate or pay attention. This was confusing to me because my son could sit and play video games for hours and have no problem concentrating or being focused when it came to that. He also loved math and excelled in that subject while failing almost all the rest Not only did he excell in math but loved to help others with math. What I found out though is that when you are doing something you enjoy your body produces adrenalin (sorry for the spelling) adrenalin is a substitute for dopamine and there for he can have great focus. running out of room send friend req
    MoneyGirl-Mom

Answer by MoneyGirl-Mom at 4:30 AM on Mar. 26, 2011