The message sent to children..

“I am now convinced that children should not be subjected to
the frightfulness of the Christian religion . . . If the concept of a
father who plots to have his own son put to death is presented to
children as beautiful and as worthy of society's admiration, what
types of human behavior can be presented to them as
reprehensible?”

— Ruth Hurmence Green, Preface of Born Again Skeptic's Guide to the Bible

Agree or disagree? Explain your answer.

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 2:53 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Yes, I do think that Christianity is a frightful, fear filled religion most of the time.

There are always good apples in the bunch though, not all denominations are fear based & closed minded.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:47 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Our neighbor's kids go to parochial school, but it's not all fire and brimstone. They also went to a church-run pre-school before they started that's also pretty tame and normal. When their son was around 4, he came over to play and was running around yelling in a kind of sing-song "God died!". It was a few weeks before Easter, and that was what he absorbed from everything they talked about prior to Easter. God died! His mother's helper was horrified and had no idea how to handle it, no doubt figuring his mom and the boy's mom were going to get angry phone calls from all the other parents of the kids playing in my back yard at the time.

People get so obsessed with defending "the message", they seem to forget how that message is filtered by a child's mind.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I agree.  The bible should have a PG13 rating. 

My dd started school in England.  Religious education is a compulsory subject in most British schools starting in Reception which is essentially kindergarten (all day, every day).  Naturally they taught about the crucifixion and resurrection at Easter time and my dd (then only 5 years old) started having nightmares caused by the violent nature of the story.

I fail to understand how parents who strive to protect their children from inappropriate material, think the bible is OK when it's clearly an extremely violent book.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Now to answer the question-
    I do not view God in that light, I never presented the Bible to my children in that light

IF someone views God that way and presented the Bible that way then yes, that would not be a good thing- BUT you are assuming all people view it like that and in turn pass that on to children from a young age- that is just not the case-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:38 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It's all in the presentation. We present from the New Testament and delve into OT stories from there. I take my children to The Stations of The Cross and that is as dark as dark gets, but the contrast will show them the Joy that is Easter and the rising of Jesus from the dead.
    A beautiful experience that if handled correctly, alters your life.
    Context, context, context. If you have none you will have a very different experience
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:00 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Really, ptomom? The Bible is full of threats and violent actions of God against his creations for real and perceived, and sometimes not even explained, offenses. There are passages where God demands sacrifices and condones or even demands stoning and other violence. Have you missed all of those stories? Shall I supply you with a list of them? Or is it just that you think they are "justified" and therefore don't count as violence?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:47 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I cannot stand the ignorance. NO WHERE in the bible does God demand HUMAN SACRIFICE this was common in pagan worship!Second stoning mainly took place for those who PRACTICE IT!!!

So you aren't familiar with Abraham & Isaac. It may have been a test but, he did command it.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I would not want it presented to my son in that way. I will present it to my son the way God teaches in the Bible. God showed his love by sacrificing the human life of his son for the atonement of the sins of the world.
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 4:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I would not want my child to read the entire Bible at a young age. I definitely do not want anyone telling him anything about Christianity in an obvious attempt to indoctrinate or use fear based tactics to convince him to be a Christian. I don't think I would mind if someone just mentioned Jesus or talked about some of the things he taught that are positive IMO w/o pushing a specific religion: compassion, charity, 'love your neighbors', etc. Not all denominations are all fire and brimstone, some Christians are liberal (usually meaning that they read more of the Bible as allegory; sometimes means they see Jesus as a human teacher only) and many are moderate/mainline denominations. I've found the more moderate to liberal the Christian teachings are, the more tolerant, respectful, and inclusive the followers tend to be. Since they aren't always literalists on the Bible, they don't need to use fear tactics.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Children ARE being taught this stuff, I've heard 5 year olds talk about people burning in a lake of fire. I agree the bible is full of horrors... it was written thousands of years ago by people who sacrificed children and stoned people to death. When I was little I remember some of these scary stories, the stoning to death of people is especially disturbing to me. And I had to see this gigantic gory Jesus nailed to a cross and kneel before it every day. I didn't think about it at the time but how messed up is that? I think it's supposed to scare the crap out of kids, lol. I can't imagine telling these stories to my kid... I agree that children shouldn't be exposed to this stuff, especially small children who can't understand the lesson or whatever behind it.
    mommy2myles

Answer by mommy2myles at 11:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2011