Life goals, careers, and being a mum.

I'm 24 yrs (25 in May), and I've still not found my 'calling', or even settled on a 'life goal'. I became a mother when I was 17 yrs, and ever since I've just been 'Mummy'... I've got three kids now, and I'm happy. Though other people in my life have pointed out that I should be getting back into education, training, ETC to further myself, and to eventually get a career, I've found it near on impossible! Every day my head is filled with kid stuff... It's like all I'm 'programed' to do is cook, clean and bring up my kids. I'd like to have something for myself in the future, a nice job... Nothing fancy! LOL. But I really can't settle on anything at all! So I'm asking, is this normal? Have I stuck myself into this mental rut by just being a mother and nothing else? I'm happy being a mummy but I know the kids will grow up, and I'll have to change!!!

LaraHappyMummy

Asked by LaraHappyMummy at 7:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• You might want to write down all the things you love doing and see if any of them might lead to some sort of career down the road. It sounds like you still have hectic mommy years left but there is no reason why you can't figure out what your strengths are now and do research on the possibilities. You also might want to look at the link below and see what jobs will be in demand in the future and if any of them match your interests.  GL!!

http://www.bls.gov/oco/

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:30 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It could be your personality type. I know it is mine. I have had a hard time finding my niche in life. I have always had a passion for a few things and none of them seem to be my fit for a career. Now in the feild I am getting ready to go to school for (human services) I will be trained in a multituide of feilds and can change direction at anytime. I'm 24 also and I understand the pressure from others but you have to do what YOU want. GL!
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 8:21 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Life requires changes. If you're happy with where you are in life now, then be happy and don't worry about it. When the time comes for change, be open and flexible as much as you can, and it will happen. Don't stress about it. It's YOUR life, no one else's, so anyone else telling you what you "should" do...it's no concern of theirs. Just smile and nod and go about your own business. :)

I got my current job (which I LOVE) when my first child was about 14-15 months old. I didn't plan it, I wasn't looking, but the opportunity just happened to fall in my lap, and I took it. Be open to that, but otherwise, don't change anything unless you WANT to. There's plenty of time for needed changes when you need them. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:14 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I would look at starting some sort of degree or training program so that when all of your kiddos are in school, you CAN have a career if that is what ends up working best for you and your family. There are so many programs you can complete either entirely online or partially online to reduce the amount of time you have to be away from your family.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:31 AM on Mar. 26, 2011