We got my son's report card

and his teacher wrote in the comments section that his self confidence has decreased and that he needs frequent affirmations that he is doing work correctly.

What can we do to help him get his self confidence back? When we ask him what is bothering him his response is always "I don't know"

How can we get him to open up and tell us what is going on? Any suggestions would be great.

No bashing please

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 8:05 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I wonder if he's being bully'ed by a classmate?? Even girls could be making fun of him for no reason and that would make any kids confidence go down. Be positive with him and encourage him when he does good. "That a boy, GREAT job, I'm proud of you" Goes Allot further than "oh how could you be so stupid, you learned this last week. How could you forget it so fast"
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:38 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Maybe he should do martial arts that helped my son.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Sports help. They get alot of self confidence that way and also feel part of a team.

Answer by gemgem at 8:41 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Is there an area that he is actually struggling in? I was always an "A" student, but as a child, I struggled with some of the advanced math and chemistry classes, and even though I always managed, I felt bad and questioned myself constantly because I felt like there was something wrong with me since I was struggling to learn it.

If you think this could possibly be it, I would have a "nobody is perfect at everything" talk with him and let him know that if he is struggling in something, that he should try to get extra help from his teacher or you, but that the best you can do is the best you can do.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:50 AM on Mar. 26, 2011