Getting kids to help out more?

what can you do to get kids to help out more around the house?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 8:09 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I got my kids to help by starting them really young and making it fun and being encouraging to them. When they got older the knew the chores they had to do in order to get $$ for things they wanted, so I used a reward ($) and it worked for me. It doesn't work with all kids though. Some respond better to getting their Fav meal if they do their chores, others respond to being grounded from TV and games. You just have to find what works with your kids.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:58 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• make it a positive thing, with kids this age you can give them a small allowance for helping out.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:11 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Have a chore list that is age appropriate and set up the rules that they need to get done before anything fun takes place. Do them together so he knows what is expected and until he gets the hang of it. Explain that everyone who lives in a home pitches in to take care of that home.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:13 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I made/forced them to do house work.

Answer by louise2 at 8:19 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Give them awards. Mine get allowances every week and they get bonus pay or money taken when they dont complete their work. For the most part I do everything on my own, and its better for me that way. I want the kids to get good grades, play sports and be kids. I teach them how to do dishes, cook, laundry, vacuum etc. Besides that I have found it is so much easier to just do it myself and reward them when they help.

Answer by gemgem at 8:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I don't give them a choice. They either help or they sit on their beds (doing nothing...no toys, no games, no TV, no books...just sitting) until they want to help.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2011