When stressed out what do you do to calm down?

Dealing with stresses of life...
What do you do?
Taking some time away from the family?
A glass of wine when the kiddies are in bed?
Concentrating on a hobby?
Going for a run?

LaraHappyMummy

Asked by LaraHappyMummy at 8:11 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• I love time for myself driving and doing stuff, but honestly, by 8 or 9 or whenever the kids are asleep, I seldom have the energy to do it. And I feel bad leaving my husband with the kids, plus can only do it weekends. Same with exercise. At homework/dinner/bath/bed time, I can't do it but need it most!

Bubble bath only really works for me when I'm already a little relaxed

When I'm really stressed, sometimes I attack a project in the house, like cleaning the kitchen, that works at night after they're in bed.

Glass of wine or beer is good for me (health-wise too) but I try not to have one when I'm really stressed- don't want to rely on it.

Have not found a great way to calm down when everyone is yelling and demanding me and I can't take time away to myself. Which happens a lot with 3 kids under 6! I do talk online quickly, chatting with friends would be great if I had them in RL?
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Being alone, works for me.

Answer by louise2 at 8:18 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I take time to myself. I might go for a drive to the book store and have a cup of coffee while my husband watches the kids. I might go see a friend and visit with them (kid free). I may ask a friend to a movie or dinner with me. I always keep some wine on hand as well so at bedtime I can have a glass if its been a stressful day.

Answer by gemgem at 8:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• A long bubble bath when the kids are in bed, a glass of wine and really good music.
    sonja911

Answer by sonja911 at 8:59 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• A hot bath, a glass of wine and some really stupid television.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:16 AM on Mar. 26, 2011