Intoeing Problems

We have already been to the doc so please dont comment for us to see the doc...just bump me up or skip me over.

My 2 yr old intoes...not umcommon I know but hers is somewhat severe. We already ordered the shoes to help keep her keep straight but she still falls a lot. I am wondering if any of you have suggestions (brands or a website would be great too) for preventing skinned knees and bruises all over. We play tball but she falls so much she gets hurt, tripping over her feet. I want to be able to let her be carefree but I also dont want her crying so much from skinned knees and other issues.

LadyOsgood

Asked by LadyOsgood at 8:36 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Have you seen a physical therapist? My 18 month old DD was seen by 2 different physical therapists (2nd opinions). They both stated the same stuff.. One a little more proactive them the other however. Anyhow we found out a lot of information, and she was being fitted for splints. They just came in the other day and will be picking them up tomorrow. We found out that if her problem was corrected now, she would later on in life have problems with hip dislocation, and knee problems.
    Her feet turn inwards (she curls her toes under her feet for balancing purposes), and in return she is forcing her hips to turn inwards also.. Along with her knees, and she is reforming her bones.. Not a good thing. I wish you all the best of luck!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I suggest you look into bruz wear (http://www.bruzwear.com/shop/). They make baby/toddler clothing with built-in knee pads, so you don't have to worry about straps or the pads slipping or her keeping them on. Hopefully the shoes will provide enough correction so that she isn't falling any more often than your average toddler does. I know that when we got our son into his AFOs, the amount of tripping & falling reduced dramatically & it was immediate, like right after he started wearing them.

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:51 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I assume she'll be in her 'orthotic' shoes most of the time so I'm unclear about your question. If you've already got the good shoes coming that should help correct the issue, those are the ones she needs to wear. You could put knee pads and wrist guards on her if her falling is that severe. It'll be cheaper than buying new pants non-stop.

Hopefully intervention now will help a lot. Best of luck!
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:44 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Chiropractor might help - my DD isn't pigeon toed but has issues with falling alot & whatnot, and going to the chiro really helps her balance issues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Although a doctor is your best choice, but that's not what you want to hear. My nephew had a similar problem. After numerous tests, it was determined that he had a growth between the two hemispheres in his brain. They performed surgery at the age of 2 and after that he was running and walking around without any problems. This is probably not the case in your child, but a doctor is truly your best bet.
    Chiqui52

Answer by Chiqui52 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• thanks so much for your answers...i hope the shoes do the job...if not then next step is the AFO's...i will look into the website so thanks mom2aspclboy! I will talk to our chiropractor...my dh goes to one that also takes in children and are great with them so thanks also to anonymous. nonolune-that was the question lol where to get the pads small enough for a 2 yr old. but thanks for your advice anyway!
    LadyOsgood

Comment by LadyOsgood (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• how sad poor girl!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 1:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2011