Can you truly get over having an eating disorder? adult content

I had an eating disorder. Anorexia. From the age of 15 to 21, I only ate properly when I was pregnant... I could eat when I had a little life growing inside me. My life was what you'd call hard... And I took it out on myself with this eating disorder. My question is, does it ever leave you completely? I'm happy now, in a loving relationship and I'm safe... But when things are hard I find myself not wanting to eat. I do not give in to these thoughts. I fought the disorder, and I believe I've won. I've been eating properly for 3 yrs now. :o)

I've put this as TMI because some people may be offended by this subject. It can be very upsetting.

LaraHappyMummy

Asked by LaraHappyMummy at 8:47 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Health

• I am proud of you that you have beat this, but i think its like any other addiction, you have to fight with it forever. like you said when something bad happens you want to go back to it but you need to just remember that you can't and keep fighting so you never go back to where you once were.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I started with a variety of eating disorders when I was 11, and even now, as a grown adult pregnant with my 3rd child in a professional job, I STILL have the urges. I am actually really scared that after I have this baby, throwing up everything I eat and/or starving myself will be what I turn to to losing weight.

I have gained a lot this time, and my doctor even told me to do a food journal and try to slow it down...I thought dear god DO NOT tell me that. I even thought about doing it, but the thought of having me write down whatever I put in my mouth as a document to hand over to someone else had me starve myself half the day...I DID NOT feel comfortable doing it, and actually that day I called my doctor's office and said that I did not want to hear another word about gaining weight, I did not want to know my weight, it was dangerous for me and the baby, and that if anyone brought it up to me I would be finding a new doctor
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:13 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I try to do what I can (crazy things like calling and freaking out on a receptionist at my dr office LOL) to stay healthy, and to keep my mind in the right place, but the thoughts are still there and they are constant.

I get way too much joy out of losing weight. I measure my body obsessively...not just weight, but tape measure measurements around about 30 points of my body...even when I'm "on the wagon" as far as actual food goes.

I mean, even the weight gain I have experienced this pregnancy I KNOW is due to the fact that I had starved myself so bad during the summer before I got pregnant that my body was dying for food...and I don't ever want to do something to hurt my baby or feel like I am denying it.

It is awful to deal with. I am so far off track from thinking normally about food. I can recite what normal eating is, but can't do it. And my biggest fear in life is my daughters picking up on my issues.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:18 AM on Mar. 26, 2011