I think my 2 yr old is having nightmares

I think my 2 yr old is having nightmares. She is waking up in the middle of the night hysterical. She gets aggressive with whoever comes in to check on her and it takes her a while to calm down. Also she seems scared to fall back to sleep when she does calm down. She ends up sleeping in bed with my hubby and I. We ask her if she is scared and she says yes but she is just 2 and doesnt have the vocabulary to tell us exactly whats wrong. Any suggestions on how to help her????

ProudMama4ever

Asked by ProudMama4ever at 9:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• You are doing all you can do by being there to comfort her. Be careful about having her sleep with you if it is not what you want long term.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:18 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Awe! My 3 year old has had nightmares since she was a little over a year old. She finally can tell me what happens in her dreams, but she thinks it really happened. She tends to have a lot of dreams about not being able to find me or her daddy :( I think it stems from daddy leaving all the time (he deploys quite a bit and she doesn't handle it well) when it happens I go in to her room and calm her down and rock her to sleep or she comes and lays down with me. There isn't a whole lot that can be done, sadly. Just let her know you are there and explain it was just a dream.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:23 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Make sure she isn't doing or watching something during the day that may scare her. My DS was scared of cruella devile and the whale from pinocchio for a long time. Sometimes things that scare them are the things we least expect. Like the vacuum or the nail clippers. Simple things could carry into her dreams. After all that is how the subconscious deals with the things the conscious does not.

Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2011