you think she's in labor or what?

I have a border collie (female) and a beagle (male) my border collie had a litter a year ago my problem is I don't know if she is in labor or not its been two months maybe a tad bit more since her heat well she has not gotten a big swollen belly like last time but that time she had 10 puppies so the belly is not big she hasn't pulled the hair from her nippies yet but she is now in my house panting like shes just ran a realay won't do much but lay in the floor and is lifting one of her back legs periodically and licking her female part like crazy you think she is in labor or could it be something else wondering wether or not to call the vet? suggestions please

one_white_rose

Asked by one_white_rose at 5:56 PM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Pets

• call the vet for sure my boxer is pregnant and trust me when she goes into labor we will have the vet on standby It sounds like she is in labor so take very good care of her.We are plus we are bredders we can't afford anything to go wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Sounds like it, if she didn't have any trouble with her last litter she will probably be okay on her own. But, if it continues for more than an hour or so without any showing any signs of progressing I would definitely give the vet a call.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 6:03 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I just think it is wierd that she didn't get a swollen belly or take the hair out from around her nippies but is acting like she is in labor just seems so wierd and has me a little worried to I didn't even think she had conceived puppies cause she didn't act like she was preggers
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 6:05 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I misread the post, sorry lol. It still sounds a lot like labor, she may just be carrying a smaller litter. Are there any other females are her that are preggo? Dogs can actually go though a sympathy pregnancy with labor and lactation. Was she in contact with any males while she was in heat? Are her nipples at all swollen?
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 6:08 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• No she is the only female dog in the neighborhood the rest are males and shes my only female dog baby
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 6:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• At least call the vet. I don't want to be mean but having an intact male and female is only going to cause you more guessing in the future.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 6:43 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• we breed her purposely cause the local farmers around here buy them from me to work on the farm hearding and hunting
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 6:57 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Well, what about the male? If you are breeding the female for whatever reason keep her intact but the male doesn't have a neccessity to be intact? if not you can get him neutered. Having them both intact is really going to cause unecessary stress. I had a cat i didn't know was intact, she had a scar, so I assumed the person had her spayed. Well, 4 adorable tabbies later, she's now spayed and in a new home. (We rescue kitties.)
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2008