Baby biting while nursing

My son got two teeth and he only bites when he is latching on. I dont know how to stop him but it hurts!! any suggestions?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 9:31 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• stop nursing!!! babies grow teeth when it's time to stop. it's a biological way of saying "it's time for food"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My DS got teeth at 6 months and he breastfed until 13 months. He did go through a time where he would bite. He just didn't know he had teeth. So just take your son off when he does it. It may take a couple goes at it but he will get that he IS biteing and he can't do that. Also make sure his mouth is open wide when he goes to latch one. GL!
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:38 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• To anon he is 6 month old I am not stopping breastfeeding just cuz he has teeth! Thank you Liamsmom09! That was very helpful.
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It's impossible to bite and nurse at the same time. When mine bit me (and they all do at least once) I would stop the nursing session. If it was late in the session, it ended that nursing. If it was early, I'd try again 5 minutes later.

I successfully nursed DD for 21 months and my twin sons for 56 months. Teeth are no reason to wean.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• When he bites just pull him in for a quick moment to cover his nose and he will let go. He will eventually stop. You can also stick your finger kind of to the side of his mouth to keep him from biting down and then pull him in quick so he is latched on properly and pull your finger out of his mouth at the same time. My daughter would do that too..It hurts
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2011