My father might not be my father

If you had good reason to believe that your father might not be your biological father, would you ask for a paternity test?

aitson

Asked by aitson at 9:38 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• No. He raised me from birth, or at least til about 4 which is as far as my memory goes. He has been my father in every sense of the word. But I am not in that position. Maybe if I ever had to face that my answer would be different.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:40 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• um maybe but i hope he would tell the truth but honestly i could care less a father is someone who raies you and takes care of you so to me even if hes not bio it wouldnt matter
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 9:41 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Yes. I found out the man who was suppose to be my father wasn't at 12. Turnned out my bio father wasn't any better but at least now I know.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:41 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It depends. If he raised me from birth and stayed a constant in my life, then probably no, I wouldn't question it, because even if he wasn't, he still is. But on the other hand, I would still have that curiosity in the back of my mind.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 9:44 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• yes I will..
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 9:47 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It depends.The fact that your father has led you to the far you are,I would not take the test.You should not forget that he must have sacrificed alot for your well being.If he had never cared for me and had been doing what's contrary,then I would.
    cleopatra3446

Answer by cleopatra3446 at 9:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I think it would depend on the reasons. Do you want it for medical purposes (and I don't just mean for family history, I mean like you / your child has a medical problem and you are looking for a match...)? If so, then I would consider it, but in a tactful way. I would also probably talk to my mom about it first - again, in a tactful way.

If it's just because you suspect that your mom had an affair, or something along those lines, then honestly, no, I probably wouldn't, because, if this is the man that raised you and loved you and was there for you all your life, then it doesn't really matter if he provided the sperm that conceived you - he IS your father.

Just be careful if you do ask, because this could cause a lot of pain to a man who I'm assuming has always acted as a father to you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do - it's a hard choice!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:54 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Yes and NO.. The man who has raised you is your Father.. not the one who donates sperm. The only benefit would be medical information. but you may hurt your dad in the process and the man who may be your biological may not corporate. Good luck this is a tough one.

MominCa

Answer by MominCa at 10:04 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I would have when I was younger. now he is my dad no matter what.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2011