2 month old constantly lets go while nursing and then goes back to relatch...over and over...why?

She doesnt do this every time....but a good bit of the time.

It can happen at the very start of nursing and go on the entire time.

She will nurse for 5 seconds or so...let go..and immediatly search for the nipple to relatch onto. WHY?

She has gotten worse lately.

Dr thinks she has acid reflux...she is on meds. that have helped her a lot...but could this be why?

While she is doing this she seems to move a lot...her arms and legs are "swimming" so to speak....and she is grunting like a little pig....

She very rarely nurses and seems calm and content....

It maybe close to half the time she is calm and content..the rest of the time she is doing this other behavior.

I am worried my breastmilk is hurting her in some way....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you sure your making enough? It's either that or her mouth is full and her nose is stuffy and she is letting go to swallow.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 9:50 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• When she lets go I am spraying everywhere...I have to keep a burp cloth nearby or I will completely wet her cloths....lol

So I think this is showing me I am making enough. Right?

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• you probably have overactice letdown which is making her have to unlatch because too much milk comes into her mouth at once.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    here is a link to help solve the problem. hope this helps!!
    aguerra13

Answer by aguerra13 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• i meant overactive, not overactice haha
    aguerra13

• OMG aquerra! YES That fits what my dd is doing to a T! Thank you! With my other two I never had this problem, it was like my milk just adjusted itself when it needed too. Hmmm, wonder why I am producing so much? Thanks again!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My youngest daughter did this, it drove me nuts lol. Her pedi also put her on reflux medicine, but we finally figured out that she was doing it because she needed little breaks. I was letting down and it was too much for her to handle, she needed a second to swallow and she would go right back for it. She got better as she got older.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• You might be over producing because DD has been spitting up. As she grows, she will be able to better handel your fast flow nipples. (PP have great advice.)
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:21 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• did you try elevate her head when bfding? It could be your flow is too fast, maybe try to pump it and feed her that way.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2011