Proposed tax on miles driven!!!

So, now they are discussing a tax on miles driven. They don't know if to keep the gas tax, an assessment tax, or what. Right now we pay taxes to buy our car, put gas in our car, and property tax on our car. Now, we will pay a tax to drive our car (which mirrors the gas tax). If the politicians had left the segregated funds alone, the transportation fund would have money in it. Do you think they have the cajones to do this?

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/151765-cbo-says-taxing-drivers-based-on-miles-driven-a-real-option-for-raising-revenues

jesse123456

Asked by jesse123456 at 9:48 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• From what I heard on talk radio, it's the high mileage cars that have brought this about. The Prius to be exact, which by sheer volume is causing a decrease in tax revenue. The government wants to push a chevy volt on you and go green with high mileage cars, then tax the actual mileage you drive.
    This is your new America people. So much for electric cars saving anything anywhere, too.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• The progressives have the cajones to take all the money they can get their hands on, out of the economy. But the house won't pass it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I think the proposal is BS, but I think the way they will track you mileage is even worse...........talk about an invasion of privacy! Yes, the progressives have the balls to try and pull anything..the question is..who wins the pi$$ing contest.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:40 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• @Anon,

"unless u drive a truck over the road this does not affect u"

Really? According to the article it would affect everyone:

"On how to implement the idea, CBO said it is unclear how much it would cost to "install metering equipment in all of the nation's cars and trucks."

Notice it doesn't say just trucks, it says cars and trucks.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:00 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Even if you don't have a car or drive a car, this will effect every citizen that purchases goods or uses services that requires transport of goods by vehicle. Just add this to the inflation that is happening already.  Anyone that thinks this won't effect them in some way can't see past the end of their nose.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:40 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I read about this awhile back. The thing that makes me angry is that they are trying to find ways of increasing revenue but looking at what/how they can get it from the average American. How about they close all the loopholes that allow corporations like GE to get away with paying no taxes, how about they stop giving tax breaks for profits made overseas, how about they stop trying to improve other countries, cut foreign aide in half and use those funds for the betterment of OUR country.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:47 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Next week I'm putting 300 pounds of various pork products in my freezer ~ pork that I raised and fed. I have 50 fryers (enough for 3 adults and some to share with my boys/families). I have 11 does that produce litters of 8 consistently (48 lbs. lean red meat per litter). I have goats for milk, cheese, butter, yogurt. I have a garden and a mini orchard.

We currently drive a grand total of 87 miles average per month ~ 2 feed store trips and one drug store run. We do whatever shopping is needed across the street from the feed store when we go.

This ~ if passed ~ will hit a lot of people in the wallet. A great many of them live in those blue cities and voted for the thieves (aka congresscritters) that propose this crud. I can't say that I feel sorry for them ... but if it passes, it's a shame for many others.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• they've got balls to propose a lot of crap..doesn't mean it will come to fruition. (then again, i said the same thing with the HC proposal.....)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:58 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Well, carpy and cullscissors, I too said they will not pass the UHC because they will listen to the people. It is the will of the people they bend to. I was wrong there also.

But republicans did not have any control. Now they have the house and I am sure several democrats will not vote for it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• This just means I'll practically be a prisoner in my own home, especially in the winter. As of right now, a trip to the grocery store is a luxury, DH and I are sharing the chore by stopping on the way home from work. I used to get to go twice a week- Tuesdays and Fridays, but now we can't afford the ten miles worth of gas, which round trip averages twenty five dollars a month right now!

Add taxes to that, and we will figure out some way not to drive. You can count on that.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2011