Stay at home moms that are consistently around their kid or kids.

Does any of your kids go to preschool or kindergarten? How did the first couple of weeks go??

I'm just wondering because my daughter will be 3 june 9th and so she'll be able to go to preschool next fall...and she's around me allll the time and whenever her and daddy go to the grocery store or to any where she crys and doesn't want to me away from me.....Now i just started a part time job at nights so i'm hoping that will start helping out....

But if your kids are like that how did u get ur kids to school with out having to argue with them or whatever

nicole0709442

Asked by nicole0709442 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• just be prepared that she's going to cry when you leave for the first few days. she might not, but be prepared for it. also expect her teacher to tell you that she's a bit "withdrawn" from class activities at first too, although she might not. sometimes it takes kids a few days or even weeks to get over their separation anxiety, but some kids jump right into it and might not even be sad at all. she will eventually love it, the playing with other kids and being in a social environment.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• When my kids were little, part of the thing that helped was well before they went (like a couple of months), we sort of talked it up big so to speak, so they were all excited to "get" to go. Also, the fact that THEY were the one going and I was staying behind (so they were having the "adventure" as opposed to ME going and them being "left behind" at home) helped.

Also, I would maybe start working on having her stay for short times with a friend or family member - like a play date without you (you could watch a friend's kids for her and have a play date at your house, then the next week, she could watch your little one for you, as a trade off). That way, she can gradually get more used to the idea and do it for shorter lengths of time, sort of "building up to it".

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:04 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Oh, also, she's going to take a lot of her cues from you - so when the time comes, if you're all crying and upset because your baby is growing up and going off to school, etc, then she's going to think that there's a reason to be upset about it, and that will make it harder for her. If you're more upbeat about it, like how great it is that she's such a big girl and gets to go do such cool stuff like go to school and play with the other big kids, etc, then she's going to be more excited about it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• my kids are always around me 24/7..i have a 4 year old that is gonna b 5 in june she is in head start this year i thought she was gonna kick n scream but here they have a lil red school bus that picks them up she was so excited loves going everyday to see her little friends. she goes mon-thurs then on friday morning she wakes up n asks if she has school n if i say no she crys lol i guess it wil get easier for ur lil one once she gets used to it in the first few days n sees how much fun it is..good luck i hope my son who will be turning 3 in september likes going just like my daughter did but i think he has to wait another year cuz of the cut off date to start they need to turn 3 or 4 before september 1st :( then i still gotta wait 4 more years for my 5 month old to go lol
    mommyof3_21

Answer by mommyof3_21 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• My middle child was very shy and I enrolled her in Preschool at age 4 because I wanted to help her separate from me and make friends. After the first few days when she cried alot, she finally started feeling more comfortable and they told me she was a sweetheart. You have to just let them cry for a while and learn to separate from you because it helps them grow up.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:57 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• For what it's worth, I've been a stay/work at home mom since my 2 daughters were born (they are 7 and 9 now) and they both went to preschool with absolutely no tears and no drama. They were excited, like it was an adventure, a fun experience, a place to make friends. It really depends on the child, but YOU having a fun and exuberant attitude toward it (as opposed to expecting problems) will help her feel more at ease as well. Not all kids will cry and scream about it :-)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 11:01 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• Mine always cried in the first couple of days but then got used to it. You should read them books about going to school. Llama Llama Misses Mama is a great book about starting school. I remember my oldest dd cried and carried on at preschool, after a couple days she was alright, and two weeks in she was telling me to leave and go home.

Answer by gemgem at 11:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• It is totally normal to have them cry the first time you leave them at pre school, I think most of us will or have gone through this. My best advice is to just reassure that you will come back to pick her up and walk away, even though she might be crying, a few minutes after you leave she will stop, but if you stick around you will make the transition worst. I know it is hard to just walk away, believe me I had to go through the same, but if you trust the school enough to leave her in their hands, the best thing you can do is just turn and walk away, and eventually she will stop and stay there happily.

Answer by older at 11:09 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I never had issues with my kids except my middle daughter. My oldest started preschool at 4 and just walked into the building and never even looked back. I called her to say bye and she gave me an off-handed wave without looking up from her puzzle she was doing, lol. My son didn't start school until kindergarten and was fine, just nervous because it was his first day and they were starting a week late so he had no idea what was going on. Then came my middle dd. I knew she was more clingy so when she was 5 I put her in preschool (half way through the year). She freaked out the first day and cried the first hour (she took a class before her 2 hours of preschool). She bravely went back for the preschool class after making sure I was still around after the first class. When she got out she had a big smile and couldn't wait to go back. My youngest dd did preschool at 3 1/2 and wasn't scared at all.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I was more upset when odd7 started preschool then she was. She is now in first grade. My dd3 will be going in the fall so I cant wait to see how that goes. I am afraid she will be jealous of my lo still being here and shes not. So, Im kinda in the same boat as you.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2011