Do you think this is right?

When I was a child I went to a private Christian school (until the 5th grade). The people there were very kind and I have nothing bad to say about most of them. It was also excellent academically, which is why my parents enrolled me. But...a memory came back to me a bit ago that I hadn't thought about in years.

When Bush, Clinton, and Perot were running in 1992 (I would have been 8), they held this "rally" of sorts between the kids. They had chosen a child for each candidate to give a speech. The main focus was abortion. Graphic things were described about mutilating babies, "cutting their arms and legs off", how God hates abortion,etc. The kids all ended up chanting "Bush" with the exception of me, who somehow thought I wanted Perot (I have no idea why, but I was never one to go with the popular vote, lol).

I am against abortion myself, but looking back, this seems so wrong to me. If my child was subjected to this I'd be very unhappy about it. I mean...there were 5 year olds in there listening to that! I don't know that I ever even told my parents. At the time I didn't realize how inappropriate it was.

I'm putting this in Religious Debate because I think it very much had to do with religion. This thing was even held in the church.

So...even if you're Christian and sent your children to a Christian school, how would you feel about your child attending something like this during school hours, without your knowledge or consent?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:02 AM on Mar. 26, 2011 in Religious Debate

• although i agree with anon in the sense that the 'gruesome' reality is what it is..i would be upset if i found out AFTER THE FACT that my young child had been exposed to this (as described in OP) or made to 'go along with the crowd'..as most likely they were, since they all chanted the same thing. not too different from the little kiddies singing praises to BO a few years back..eh? they were taught to do it, and since everyone was doing it, they did it.
    i'd be upset, and prone to action. it wouldn't matter what i thought of abortion. yes, i'm a realist and i do not hold back the truth just to smooth things over to not offend others, but there is such a thing as being age-appropriate. its just common sense, as well.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:36 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• That is insane! I would not be okay with my five year old hearing that. I don't think I would be okay with my15 year old hearing that. This is part of the reason that I would never send my child to a parochial school. You never really know what they are teaching if you are not in the classroom everyday.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:08 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• That is a horrible thing to discuss with young children, not to mention the political indoctrination that was taking place. Just awful.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:33 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• This shouldn't be taught to ANY kids!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:09 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I do not think providing children graphic details about abortion is something a school should do.

In fact, there are better ways to teach anyone about abortion than gruesome scare tactics.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 10:27 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• If you went into that graphic of detail on how kids where made with a 5-8 year old child you would be sitting in jail for being a pedophile. I am sorry little children that do not understand more than the baby is in mommies tummy and than it comes out should not have to sit through graphic details on abortion. Why do they even get targeted? Op case it was the whole school but around here we have protesters that target elementary kids. They are not even old enough they will face this choice for a while to come if ever. All they do is scare the crap out of little kids. I am thankful for pro lifers that do not do this to kids, but the percentage that do sure scream so loud you forget at times that it is not the majority doing this.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 26, 2011

• not to sure that is alright for younger kids, maybe middle school kids.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I would be horrified. In fact, I urged my family to leave a fundamentalist church because of an evangelist there saying, "Kill the men. Kill the women. Kill the children.", and urging others to repeat it with him regarding unbelievers.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 10:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• id be extremely angry! my DH did a presentation on abortion in college and it really messed him up for weeks b/c of how gruesome it is/can be. if a regularly strong 20 year old man cant handle the reality of abortion then an elementary student (or most all students) for sure shouldnt be exposed to that. i would imagine this day and age most schools would send permission slip home first and my kid would not "get" to go...then again it was a private school so maybe things work differently.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2011

• I would probably be angry if my child was in elementary..maybe more towards the end of middle school or high school would be ok for those types of things.

But on this topic I DO think that people try to gloss over the nastiness of abortion and focus on the rights of the women. Never mind the fetus trying desperately to grow. I think every woman who chooses abortion should know exactly what her fetus looks like right now. A REAL picture. And also exactly how the life ceases to be. Fairly graphic. If you are able to make this decision to end a life, it should be fully informed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2011